GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Hm. I think it could be multiple issues. I believe @Diggs24 mentioned at one point he had this issue on the dyno. The last time I got smoke was going into T6 on Thunderhill East, didn’t touch the brakes at all.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Only time I've noticed smoke is on a decreasing radius 50mphish turn in autocross with some intentional lift off oversteer.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
The Forge catch can was delivered today. The quality looks to be excellent. I like that the dipstick is silver and that the can comes with a drain valve. Between the black oil dipstick VW provided and the black dipstick in the VWR catch can, it's more difficult than it needs to be to figure out oil levels.. The new PCV valve should arrive mid-week.

Attachments

• 2020-09-26 10.14.20.jpg
    2020-09-26 10.14.20.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 114

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I was up at Thunderhill yesterday doing the 5 mile track with NCRC in their point by group (passing with a point anywhere, passing without a point on the 3 main straights). This was my first time running this configuration since 2014. I am still having an issue with oil diversion into the catch can and that cut my day short. I stopped the video when the car went into limp mode as the only thing less fun than watching a car navigate a 5 mile track in limp mode is being the driver of that car.

At this point the behavior of the PCV system is probably a symptom and not a cause of my problems. I had a leaking valve cover resealed in July, and that leak might have been a symptom of excess crankcase pressure. I've got a month before my next track day to figure out what is going on and getting it fixed. I talked to the shop yesterday to get them thinking about the problem and I'll be following up with them on Monday. The car is fine for daily driving.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Looks like it throws a bit of smoke heading into T4 at 4:44ish too.

One time, I blew a boost hose off my intercooler going down the front straight and had to do the whole 5 mile lap in limp mode. Sympathize there, no fun.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Is the smoke using the BL plate? Or vwr catchcan?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm thinking the smoke is being caused by an issue with the recent maintenance, not the VWR or BL plates.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
What about the recent maintenance? Do you mean the valve cover reseal?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What about the recent maintenance? Do you mean the valve cover reseal?

Yeah, I think he said the smoking got worse after the reseal. I could be wrong though.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I didn't get smoke from the VWR plate while i clearly am with the BL plate, so... That said, something more serious is going on with the car. I made an appointment with Griffin for a week from Thursday for a leakdown test and other diagnostics.
Idk if im missing something here but why don't you just switch back to the vwr plate to mitigate the smoking?