GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Time for an upgrade!

It was the upgrade to my original IS20. It's still under warranty but the place that I bought it from who also dyno tuned my car says that normally it's pull it ,send it back and wait for it to be sent back. They are finding out if the place they bought it from will just send a replacement. I use my car for work so if they won't send the replacement I"ll probably get a new one and am torn between the TPC20 and the EQT Vortex. I need to stay around 400 HP though because of the way that I use the car. Which one would you recommend?

Navi

Autocross Champion
Thanks but will you tell me why? Just asking because I want to make sure we're on the same page with my expectations.

I'm curious why also

For learning points

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm curious why also

For learning points

The EQT website doesn't mention the bearings and that is why I was leaning towards the TPC20 because it says the bearings are upgraded. But I don't have the experience that Diggs does.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
The EQT website doesn't mention the bearings and that is why I was leaning towards the TPC20 because it says the bearings are upgraded. But I don't have the experience that Diggs does.

How about the tpc38 😁

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sorry Cliff. I responded to someone who addressed me directly and I should not have.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
No worries. Back on topic.

I've been chasing fluid leaks this year. The turbo was obviously the big one. Then the car went back to Griffin to have the driver-side diff output flange seal replaced under warranty. After this repair the car was still leaking a bit of engine oil (they put UV dye in it to distinguish the source), and one of the DCC cancellers threw a hard fault, so the car went back to Griffin last Monday.

Turns out the cylinder head cover was leaking. Apparently that's a fairly significant repair on these cars. One the dealers won't even do - they'll just replace the entire head. The car is still in the shop this weekend letting the material used as a sealant to cure. I asked the shop if my track use was to blame and they indicated it's more a function heat cycles affecting the sealant material. Of course, my engine gets pretty toasty at the track, so.. Got to pay to play.

Ohlins and Griffin covered the DCC cancellers under warranty. I hope this is the last one of those to fail.

It has also been nearly a year since the last alignment so we took care of that. The new suspension settled in a bit so my front camber is back to 2.3/2.4 again. I'll be back at Laguna Seca next weekend with NCRC. Sure hope nothing breaks...

New Alignment 2020-07-21.png

Last edited:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The valve cover is an interesting design. I wonder why they didn’t use standard cam line bore caps instead of an integrated design.

I had to change my MKV R valve cover seal at around 45k miles, probably had 30+ track days on it. That one isn’t fun too, have to put the front end in service mode and remove the intake manifold.

Waiting on my KW Clubsports to arrive, I opted to try iSweep cancellers at a recommendation from a friend

I’m hoping I can get back on track in fall, Laguna would be a fun trip up

Good luck chasing Randy’s time 😉

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
The valve cover is an interesting design. I wonder why they didn’t use standard cam line bore caps instead of an integrated design.

I had to change my MKV R valve cover seal at around 45k miles, probably had 30+ track days on it. That one isn’t fun too, have to put the front end in service mode and remove the intake manifold.

Interesting, Griffin said my track use didn't really contribute to the failure. I'm at about the same mileage with just over 50k miles. But twice the HPDE days with 60 days on this car currently.

Waiting on my KW Clubsports to arrive, I opted to try iSweep cancellers at a recommendation from a friend

I’m hoping I can get back on track in fall, Laguna would be a fun trip up

Good luck chasing Randy’s time 😉

A friend is running KW Clubsports on his Mk2 TTRS and he had a KW canceller fail. I don't personally know anyone running the Isweep cancellers.

NCRC put me in the faster of the 2 point-by passing groups, so we shall see...

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Sure hope nothing breaks...

Cliff, this has been the nagging voice in my head the last 5 times I've been out. I've noticed recently that my on track time and body twisting stress has worn every single plastic and rubber trim piece around the doors and hatch. My car now creaks from the doors every time suspension moves at all. Yesterday I was able to silence a bit by slipping felt tape between one door's plastic trim and sheet metal where the weather stripping covers it.

Meanwhile, my friend's Porsche cayman is silent, never overheats, and he only consumes tires and brakes :(... He can't carry an entire weekend of crap with himself though...