GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clearing mist from windscreen

Thunderer

Passed Driver's Ed
Do not know whether I posted in the correct thread.

My issue is that when I take car out of the garage or going home after having the car parked outside in the evening am not able to clear the mist from all windows.

I have climate a/c. Is it possible for anyone to advice on the settings I have to make the a/c in order to clear all the mist as driving under this condition is not easy!! I do manage to clear the reat windscreen, however the rest would remain covered all with mist!

Also my car is a 1.6 tdi if that makes any difference.

Tnx

Last edited:

mrlapou

Ready to race!
AC on, heater controls set to defrost.
If the mist is on the outside, a simple wipe with cloth or rubber blade.

Also, an old biker's tip is rubbing / polishing washing up liquid on the inside of the windows.

Thunderer

Passed Driver's Ed
Tnx for your replies ... i did have ac on max, however nothing really hapenned ... also the temp, how much should i set it?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Tnx for your replies ... i did have ac on max, however nothing really hapenned ... also the temp, how much should i set it?

There should be 2 A/C buttons available to you

The button on the left is the one for the windscreen, if you don't have climatronic, then turn the dial that directs the air to the windscreen.

Thunderer

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes mine is like that ... i pressed everything ... max ac ... max with the heater thing on ... all 4 buttons ... everything ... and both side temps were set at low

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Yes mine is like that ... i pressed everything ... max ac ... max with the heater thing on ... all 4 buttons ... everything ... and both side temps were set at low

Just use the one with the windscreen symbol on it.
No need to adjust the other ones, I'm surprised with the climate in Malta that the screen should take long to clear, could it be the glass needs cleaning?

Thunderer

Passed Driver's Ed
Well i am also surprised! ... i just cleaned the car and applied fresh polish just Monday week, it shouldn't have worked against me in this case ... also, since my 8 months car ownership this is the first time i had to clear mist and am not that satisfied with what happened .. will try next time by just pressing the left button only and with max ac with yhe windscreen symbol on it

mickR

Ready to race!
Keep in mind that diesel engines do not warm up as quickly as petrol engines, so the heating system will take longer to warm up. Using the aircon will help to demist, as the aircon system dries moisture from within the car. :)

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Diesels have an electric auxiliary heater so you get warm air faster than the petrols!

mickR

Ready to race!
New one on me, when did they start fitting them? Although it makes reference to them in owners handbooks, it doesn't (didn't) mean that they are fitted. :)

kevinm1

Ready to race!
It's an optional extra, and I think only in Northern Europe.

No you are talking about the webasto fuel-fired heater. I mean the 1kw electric heater beside the normal heater matrix. Vw started fitting it to UK mk5's around 2008

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
No you are talking about the webasto fuel-fired heater. I mean the 1kw electric heater beside the normal heater matrix. Vw started fitting it to UK mk5's around 2008

I remember there was an aux heater option for the MK5, but never heard anyone mention it, however I have not found the diesel to heat up quickly if they do have the heater you describe :eek:
ETA there was a thread on this a while back