GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clear Touch Up?

MC.R

Posted this in the R32 section but didn't get any responses, anyone hear can help?
Not sure how this happened but on both of my rear quarter panels above the gas cover opening area the clearcoat seems to be scratched/scuffed, i've tried using scratch doctor and polish but sitll looks weird, any ideas on how to fix this? not sure how the hell it happened you only see it in certain lighting angles

Candyman

GTI post Fozz
Car(s)
VW Golf R DSG MY12
Possibly caused by people leaning against the car ?

Anyway, what polish did you use and what process ?

For light scratches and marks, wash the affected area, clay it and then polish with Menzerna 106 on a medium to light cut pad (I use blue or white Edge pads) on my random orbital buffer. You can finish with Menzerna 85RD FF on a low cut pad like the white Edge if you want.

Wash the area after polishing to remove oils left by the polish and spent polish and reapply your preferred LSP (last step product) such as a carnauba wax or a synthetic (my pref is Optimum Car Wax)

Alternatively, Menzerna Sealing Wax is quite effective as an All In One in removing and covering up light marks but needs to be applied with a random orbital or similar. It acts as cleaner, polish and wax in one product.

MC.R

i used i believe it's simoniz clear coat clearcoat scratch repair, its like a creme/wax you wipe it on let it dry and wipe off the haze and then wax over it, it did an okay job, ill try the menzerna

Candyman

GTI post Fozz
Car(s)
VW Golf R DSG MY12
i used i believe it's simoniz clear coat clearcoat scratch repair, its like a creme/wax you wipe it on let it dry and wipe off the haze and then wax over it, it did an okay job, ill try the menzerna

Simoniz CC SR is I believe, mostly fillers - it does no repair at all.

If you haven't used a random orbital before etc, I'd suggest getting a pro detailer to take a look at the area of concern.

MC.R

candyman, okay so i got a random orbital buffer, you think the menzerna 106 will work well?

HipToss

Behind the iron sights
Car(s)
2008 GTI
106ff (NANO) is rather low on the cutting spectrum. It will however, remove the scratches as long as they are not too deep. Take your time and allow the polish to work. I would start with a white pad, if that is not clearing the scratches, step up to an Orange pad. If that will not smooth it, may need something harsher like SIP.

MC.R

106ff (NANO) is rather low on the cutting spectrum. It will however, remove the scratches as long as they are not too deep. Take your time and allow the polish to work. I would start with a white pad, if that is not clearing the scratches, step up to an Orange pad. If that will not smooth it, may need something harsher like SIP.

excuse my ignorance in car detailing as i've only waxed/buffed a car before and never tried to like get rid of swirls/scratches... can you explain cutting spectrum a bit? and the difference between "white pads" and "orange pads"?
i have a random orbital buffer that works well where can i get the pads for it?
whats sip?

jwgti

Swirl Free
excuse my ignorance in car detailing as i've only waxed/buffed a car before and never tried to like get rid of swirls/scratches... can you explain cutting spectrum a bit? and the difference between "white pads" and "orange pads"?
i have a random orbital buffer that works well where can i get the pads for it?
whats sip?

There are many products that will help you take care of swirls and scratches. It can get quite confusing starting out for the first time. There are many different pads that are made by different manufacturers like Lake Country (LC), Edge, and Meguiars. I recommend getting some Lake Country 5.5" low profile pads. White is their polishing pad and orange is their light cutting pad. You could also get the burgundy cutting pad and yellow polishing pad from Meguiars if you wish also.

What kind of random orbital do you have? I'm assuming you have a porter cable 7424. Menzerna makes some great polishes and I use them all the time when I correct paint. For you, SIP and 106ff will take care of what you want. SIP=Super Intensive Polish. You always want to use the least aggressive combo first so I recommend a LC white pad with 106. If that doesn't work go with SIP and a white pad. I was able to correct my paint with 106 and a white pad but I used a rotary. You might have to use SIP and an orange pad, then follow it up with 106 and a white pad. It's a great combo but will take most of your day if you want perfection so plan accordingly.

You can purchase your supplies from Phil and Detailers Domain. Since you are in CT and his business is in NJ, you will probably receive your order within a couple days. Or you could buy your supplies from autogeek. If you are looking to buy pads OTC, then check out auto supply stores that supply to local body shops. The ones around me only carry meguiars pads and polishes so I have to order online if I'm looking for something different. Hope this helps and good luck with your detail.

MC.R

There are many products that will help you take care of swirls and scratches. It can get quite confusing starting out for the first time. There are many different pads that are made by different manufacturers like Lake Country (LC), Edge, and Meguiars. I recommend getting some Lake Country 5.5" low profile pads. White is their polishing pad and orange is their light cutting pad. You could also get the burgundy cutting pad and yellow polishing pad from Meguiars if you wish also.

What kind of random orbital do you have? I'm assuming you have a porter cable 7424. Menzerna makes some great polishes and I use them all the time when I correct paint. For you, SIP and 106ff will take care of what you want. SIP=Super Intensive Polish. You always want to use the least aggressive combo first so I recommend a LC white pad with 106. If that doesn't work go with SIP and a white pad. I was able to correct my paint with 106 and a white pad but I used a rotary. You might have to use SIP and an orange pad, then follow it up with 106 and a white pad. It's a great combo but will take most of your day if you want perfection so plan accordingly.

You can purchase your supplies from Phil and Detailers Domain. Since you are in CT and his business is in NJ, you will probably receive your order within a couple days. Or you could buy your supplies from autogeek. If you are looking to buy pads OTC, then check out auto supply stores that supply to local body shops. The ones around me only carry meguiars pads and polishes so I have to order online if I'm looking for something different. Hope this helps and good luck with your detail.

great thanks for the info!
do you have any before/after pics of the "damage" you fixed... im being anal cause i want it to be perfect and im still confused on how i got whacky swirls in the exact same location on both sides of the car...

jwgti

Swirl Free
Here are some correction pics that I have done.

jwgti

Swirl Free
The first pics in the post above are from the roof of a Honda CR-V. The second set of pics are from the trunk of a Buick Park Avenue that I detailed a couple of weeks ago.

This is a 50/50 picture from a Mazda Miata that I detailed for a friend.

MC.R

The first pics in the post above are from the roof of a Honda CR-V. The second set of pics are from the trunk of a Buick Park Avenue that I detailed a couple of weeks ago.

This is a 50/50 picture from a Mazda Miata that I detailed for a friend.

holy crap!!! thats really good