GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning the rpm, speedometer glass

AndrewChenMD

Passed Driver's Ed
I am having the hardest time cleaning the rpm, speedometer glass. I always managed to get streaks. I even tried using my sunglass microfiber cloth. Any recommendations?

Sandtoes

Dubber since 1986
Car(s)
2006 GTI-Tornado Red
Find the softest cloth you can find, 100% cotton. Moisten a corner of it with warm water, wipe the glass. With a dry section of the cloth, polish the glass, changing sections a few times. The warm water and the "elbow grease" is enough to get the glass clean and streak free. Also works great on your windows. An old tip I remember reading from an auto detailer a long time ago.

wunderRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
clean it very carefully because that piece of plastic is unbelievebly scratchtastic. i try to avoid touching it because it is so easy to scratch. i used some meguiars quik interior detailer, but it left a haze visible in direct sunlight that i have yet to deal with.

FliGi7

Ready to race!
First of all, it's plastic, not glass, and it VERY easily scratches. So, I would not touch it with anything other than a clean microfiber cloth. If it's really grimy, you can use any glass cleaner you want, or a soap/water mixture diluted 1/10. If there are scratches, Meguiar's PlastX should do the trick.

silversleeper

Retired OG
Find the softest cloth you can find, 100% cotton. Moisten a corner of it with warm water, wipe the glass. With a dry section of the cloth, polish the glass, changing sections a few times. The warm water and the "elbow grease" is enough to get the glass clean and streak free. Also works great on your windows. An old tip I remember reading from an auto detailer a long time ago.

this is what i do, works soo good.

65dunebuugy

insert custom title here
just use brake cleaner.... i works great!! I use the same stuff I use on my TV i think its made by Phillips, it comes in a clear bottle, blue liquid. it works great

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
The rabbit and GTI have different clusters. The GTI appears to have anti-reflection coated glass, whereas the rabbit has plastic.

I'm adding a vote to the 100% cotton wet and rub dry method. After trying special glass cleaners and different cloths thats what I use for my GTI's cluster and the interior sides of the windows.