GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning Oil Extractor post Oil Change?

ShaZam

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just used an Oil Extractor (Schwaben 6.5L model) for my scheduled oil change for the first time.
My question is after disposing of the old oil do you need to clean out the oil extractor? If so, what your all's best practice in doing so?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I would say no unless you planned to use it to extract some other fluid that the residual oil would contaminate. If I were to clean it I would wipe it out with blue shop rags, then spray the inside with brake cleaner and wipe down again, then let dry.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Nope. Even if I’m pulling another fluid, it’s getting disposed of anyways. I don’t use extractors for filling fluids, I use a separate tool for that. I will wipe down the outside here and there. I just use soapy water.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Nope. Even if I’m pulling another fluid, it’s getting disposed of anyways. I don’t use extractors for filling fluids, I use a separate tool for that. I will wipe down the outside here and there. I just use soapy water.
Yeah I was about to say... I’ve used my extractor for both engine oils and trans oil with out cleaning the inside out. I’m not filling anything with it and I still clean the hose each time so it’s not like I’m cross contaminating anything.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I've had brake fluid from my wife's Passat sitting in my extractor for 3 months, I guess I should maybe pump it out sometime and clean it out. FYI an extractor works great for brakes. I used to use a MightyVac hand pump and talk about a pain in the forearm!