GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning instrument cluster

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Still wouldn't recommend. The cleaner maybe, but never the polishes. They work great on exterior lights and lenses, but will still "swirl" the dash.

If anything, use Plexus plastic polish or anything recommended for motorcycle windshield or helmet visors.
Funny, I swirled the cluster with a micro fiber and bought this to fix it. Worked perfectly and looks good as new after.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Still wouldn't recommend. The cleaner maybe, but never the polishes. They work great on exterior lights and lenses, but will still "swirl" the dash.

If anything, use Plexus plastic polish or anything recommended for motorcycle windshield or helmet visors.

Funny, I swirled the cluster with a micro fiber and bought this to fix it. Worked perfectly and looks good as new after.
Jay vs. Jay.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
You cannot touch it or it will scratch. The scratches are more visible on the GLI because of the cluster design. Ask me how I know. A fellow forum member recommended this:

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
I did it.. I used the Meguiars Interior cleaner sprayed on a new micofiber (giant pack from BJs or Costco)..
The damp cloth cleaned the piano black trim without scratching. (thinking about using ceramic exterior wax on
the black?)
Since the cloth was very damp this cleaned the lenses without scratching.. Thanks so much for telling me this and not to use a brush!

I went further and installed my lense protectors from china.. They were like lense protectors for your cellphone...
I did have a few bubbles... like I always do with my cellphone with cheap protectors.. but they fit amazingly well...I'll take the bubbles over scratches any day...

Attachments

• 20210327_135852_resized.jpg
    20210327_135852_resized.jpg
    898.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210327_135524_resized.jpg
    20210327_135524_resized.jpg
    898.3 KB · Views: 142

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
You cannot touch it or it will scratch. The scratches are more visible on the GLI because of the cluster design. Ask me how I know. A fellow forum member recommended this:

Thanks! This video makes me think using the Novus 7100 Plastic Polish Kit should work and if not I'll try that product. I only wish I could restore my touch screen as well but I've read most products will strip whatever coating is on it from the factory.