GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
Welp, the waterpump housing finally let go... and now im leaking like a sieve instead of the slow leak like it was for the last year and a half.. I called one independent shop... 1100$
2015 VW Golf @ 94k miles, also passed the class action

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Welp, the waterpump housing finally let go... and now im leaking like a sieve instead of the slow leak like it was for the last year and a half.. I called one independent shop... 1100$
8 year old car, at this point, some repairs are to be expected.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Does that $1,100 include parts?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Does that $1,100 include parts?
I paid a bit over that for genuine OE VW parts and labor at my indy shop. That work is warrantied for 3 years/36K parts and labor. VW reimbursed me $1150 for the job so that seems to be about right/book rate for it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I paid a bit over that for genuine OE VW parts and labor at my indy shop. That work is warrantied for 3 years/36K parts and labor. VW reimbursed me $1150 for the job so that seems to be about right/book rate for it.
That's fantastic.
I paid way too much at my local indy shop.
I knew it was too much, as I'm aware of the general cost of these replacements from being on this site for so long.
But the car was there, and I wasn't going to tow it out.
I'm past the waterpump reimbursment time frame/mileage ratio as well.
I still love this car, but plan to get out of it in about two years.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That's fantastic.
I paid way too much at my local indy shop.
I knew it was too much, as I'm aware of the general cost of these replacements from being on this site for so long.
But the car was there, and I wasn't going to tow it out.
I'm past the waterpump reimbursment time frame/mileage ratio as well.
I still love this car, but plan to get out of it in about two years.
What did they charge you?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
What did they charge you?
I'm embarrassed to tell you, but it was north of $1,500.
JA Autowerks in Redbank NJ.
They're very good, they know what they're doing - but they're pricey.
I would have been better off at the dealership.
They did two other relatively recent repairs on the car, and they were far more $$$ than they should have been.
I'm not going back there.
It sucks, because you try to be smart... Try to do your research and find a good indy place that specializes in VW's, Porches, and Audis and this happens.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm embarrassed to tell you, but it was north of $1,500.
JA Autowerks in Redbank NJ.
They're very good, they know what they're doing - but they're pricey.
I would have been better off at the dealership.
They did two other relatively recent repairs on the car, and they were far more $$$ than they should have been.
I'm not going back there.
It sucks, because you try to be smart... Try to do your research and find a good indy place that specializes in VW's, Porches, and Audis and this happens.
It happens.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It happens.
Yeah, if I could have driven it somewhere else (I had it towed there) I would have, but it was there so I said "Do it."
At least it's done now.
I've been waiting for this failure forever.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah, if I could have driven it somewhere else (I had it towed there) I would have, but it was there so I said "Do it."
At least it's done now.
I've been waiting for this failure forever.
Prices vary. Folks always jump in these threads with "I paid $200". Any reputable shop using OE parts that makes money is going be close to the alldata rate....some a bit higher some a bit lower.

Last edited:

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Mine is still holding out at 98k miles. Figure I'll replace it when I install MPI eventually. Brother's Sportwagon's waterpump took a dump just in time at 75k and got it replaced under warranty.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Last work I had done at an indy, they called with a crazy high price for the work, I pushed back, and they said it was because they had to remove the subframe to do the work. I reminded them that you only need to remove subframe for DSG and they brought the estimate way down.

Don't be afraid to call BS and push back.

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
i'm thinking of coupling this water pump service with walnut blasting the intakes, but I only have the baby 1.8 stock. Has it been in other's experience, to still get the intake cleaning service?
they quoted me 2k in total

Tom1759

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
7 months after getting my water pump replaced under the warranty and my low coolant light came on today. I had checked it a month or so ago when I did an oil change and it was full... anyone else had a similar issue?

I need to call the dealer tomorrow but hopefully the new pump came with some kind of warranty.