GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Civilized" exhaust

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
So i have the db meter, just cruising around in cabin, highest peak I got was 82 db, but mostly it was around 70. For reference, at idle it's around 50 db, stereo half way up is 75db or so. I'll get wome WOT readings in the dry and with the camera. I need someone to hold the meter, it registers 15 db louder if I set it in the cupholder, but I want a mid cabin reading.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
After fighting with myself on what I wanted to do with my GTI, I had decided not to make it a ridiculous street missile and just do a Stage 1+ upgrade since this was still going to be my DD/road trip car (I like driving it too much to just weekend/track it). Because downpipes are basically not being sold anymore and I'm not a huge fan of getting gouged on the used market, I'm looking into buying an exhaust system that produces a nice note when you give it the beans, but doesn't drone at speed and is still neighbor friendly-ish at low-throttle. I'm aware this is a big ask (which is why I was initially going to just run a DP and stock exhaust/resonator), but does anyone know of a system that could accomplish this, or should I just leave the exhaust stock?
I've been running the MBRP Pro Series exhaust for about a month on my '18. It's got a Helmholz resonator on it and has as close to zero drone as I've ever experienced on an aftermarket catback. It si very subtle under light load conditions, but throw the car in sport mode and shift above 5k rpm's in first and second gear and you'll get some serious pops and bangs. I had an exhaust shop install it in less than an hour for $75 as it required slight modification (the rear hangers weren't lining up - maybe something different with the 7.5's). But overall, it looks great and is perfect for highway cruising with the family. I love that it's loud only when I want it to be. I should also mention that I noticed immediate less backpressure and quicker spool afterwards - was not expecting that from just a catback after all my experience with full turbobacks.

https://www.urotuning.com/products/mbrp-pro-series-volkswagen-3-cat-back-dual-exhaust-system?currency=USD&variant=32182414180407&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwo-aCBhC-ARIsAAkNQisPm3LtoPJGUkZ-z5OR7hJmj-zkpRg9wd3fkA_vzKrJflcHCZGxLi4aAsB0EALw_wcB

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
so you run this with the oem dp?
Are you asking me? If so, then yes, I have stock DP and don't plan to change. I can run GIAC's IS38 stage 3 file with the stock dp on 91 if I'm fortunate enough to go down that road.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Are you asking me? If so, then yes, I have stock DP and don't plan to change. I can run GIAC's IS38 stage 3 file with the stock dp on 91 if I'm fortunate enough to go down that road.
yep. Stock dp probably has a lot to do with why there's no drone and it's quiet.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
yep. Stock dp probably has a lot to do with why there's no drone and it's quiet.
Another reason I wanted to keep the stock dp for sure. I'm no longer interested in that "booming" sound that's customary of the aftermarket ones. And having something that's loud when I want it to be with basically no drone is priceless.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I sometimes regret my decision to go catback first. I wish I just did a DP and kept stock catback. I feel the sound would be similar, but price to performance a DP just makes more sense.