GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Civic TyR Shredder

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Yeah, it really is a beast of a machine. Obviously the money didn't go into the interior or materials but the stock seats feel amazing. You don't even think they will be that good until you sit in them. The density of the foam is perfect. It's not like recaro foam hardness, but not regular civic softness. They found a good medium. The chassis is way more competent than a GTI or Golf R, and the brakes are great. I know bc my friend has a Golf R and Type R and I've had some decent seat time in both modded and stock CTRs. Still, the Golf platform is a better do everything car, but the Type R is more of a performance machine.

Exactly, they absolutely nailed it IF that is what you want. My buddy that has one wanted the whole package and loves the car. It's a weapon on the track, everything works great. On the street it feels fine, but it feels like a track prepped car. The seats are great, the interior is way over the top but everything works, just like the styling.

I have another friend with a Focus RS, and we should all be doing a track day before the end of the year. It's an interesting group for sure, but my car is the one we'll take to get lunch or to shuttle people around.

R/GTI is a better daily car, more livable, but if you don't want or need that, we've got a lovely selection of cars in the US right now. Maybe not as good as Europe but better than we've had in 20+ years.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I've seen near to 500hp with headwork and maxing out the stock turbo and fueling. Honda builds great engines. This was on a track car, so fwd traction is less of a concern as it would be on a street car. Honda brought their A game.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Except their 1.5T that seems to think gasoline belongs in the oil.

Honda has definitely made great engines. Take an old B20 frankenstein and throw a turbo on there and it will last forever. Their transmissions were the weak point though, never made for that much torque.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Exactly, they absolutely nailed it IF that is what you want. My buddy that has one wanted the whole package and loves the car. It's a weapon on the track, everything works great. On the street it feels fine, but it feels like a track prepped car. The seats are great, the interior is way over the top but everything works, just like the styling.

I have another friend with a Focus RS, and we should all be doing a track day before the end of the year. It's an interesting group for sure, but my car is the one we'll take to get lunch or to shuttle people around.

R/GTI is a better daily car, more livable, but if you don't want or need that, we've got a lovely selection of cars in the US right now. Maybe not as good as Europe but better than we've had in 20+ years.

Just to reinforce these points some more:

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...56/2019-honda-civic-type-r-vs-2019-vw-golf-r/

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Motortrend clocked the Type R beating the Golf by about ~3 seconds on Willow springs. As they come stock the type R is the fastest non premium hatch you can buy.

I think if you put the Conti 6 from the Type R on the Golf R, it would make up the 3seconds.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
I think if you put the Conti 6 from the Type R on the Golf R, it would make up the 3seconds.
R comes with Conti 5P stock, I very much doubt diffrence between the 6 and 5P are that much, maybe 0.5, if that.

Put some RS4 or RE71R on the Golf R and it will cut 3 or 4 seconds sure, but put same tires on Type R and it will once again beat the Golf R.

I love my Golf R, but the stock suspension setup in the TypeR is just better than the R, full stop.

DAS_STIG

Banned
R comes with Conti 5P stock, I very much doubt diffrence between the 6 and 5P are that much, maybe 0.5, if that.

Put some RS4 or RE71R on the Golf R and it will cut 3 or 4 seconds sure, but put same tires on Type R and it will once again beat the Golf R.

I love my Golf R, but the stock suspension setup in the TypeR is set up better for the track than the R, full stop.

That's better.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I was being chased around Buttonwillow by my buddy in his Type R with the factory wheels and tires. Those cars are FAST. Embarrassingly so for me since my car was on NT-05s and is not at all stock. The auto-rev matching and traction control and adjustable suspension and everything just works.

But his tires were TOAST and we needed to rotate them after less than 5k street miles and 2 track days. He was both driving the hell out of that car and using up every last bit of those tires. Not at all surprised.

What does surprise me is that Honda decided that 20's would be a good idea on this car. Who would have thought you'd have DUBS on a Honda, stock.

My experiences have basically mirrored yours. My friend and I used to own Integra Type R's back in the day and frequently drove them on track. Fast forward 10 years and I'm in a lightly modded GTI, and he's in a new CTR (after a few years in a MK7 Golf R). We're back at the track fairly often now with our two cars and swap back and forth the odd time. That CTR is an absolute animal. It was stock last year, but now has a Hondata tune, Stoptech Sport pads, more front camber, lightweight 18's and RS4's. I'm easily 4+ seconds or so faster around our local track in the CTR vs my GTI.

One thing you do notice immediately moving away from the 20" stock wheel/tire setup is the turn-in. The OEM setup was lightning quick (actually the best turn in of any car I've ever driven, period) and the move to 18" (255's I believe) added a lot of slop to the steering input. I think that 19" wheels with a smaller sidewall might be the sweet spot for that car.

Navi

Autocross Champion
yeah I think 19's is the way to go. A lot of my friends switched to 18's and I'm like why? Why not just -1?? The 18's kill the razor sharp turn in, add a bunch of torque steer and just feel weird lol

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I think my buddy ended up with 18x9.5 Titan7s and 255 or 265 NT05s. I haven't asked about that and we haven't been to the track since but I'm sure it's different, maybe not better all around but different.

20's sound weird but Honda didn't do anything "just 'cause" on that car. Makes sense that it made such a big difference.

Also I disagree that the Type R's suspension is only tuned for the track, it's adjustable just like an R with DCC, but it's more aggressive. Comfort mode is just that, but you put it into R+ mode and the car is VERY different.

If VW cared to pay attention to what the front runner in hot hatches was doing, they'd want to copy a lot of what Honda did as far as suspension/chassis tuning and driving dynamics.

The one thing the Civic does not do is make noise, at least from the back. Sorta wish that center exhaust tip was a nasty flame spitting wastegate dump or something, but it's not.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
The 3 tip exhaust matches the rest of the car as far as looks are concerned. Excessively useless.

If they could put that drivetrain on a regular Si with more flared out fenders and a subtle hood scoop, I'd go buy one.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Solid troll

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk