GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chrome window trim surrounds

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Hey everyone,

I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this, but I really want chrome window surrounds on my 2016 MK7.

I've seen some aftermarket options on AliExpress/eBay that require glue to stick to the existing black rubber trim, which I dislike for two reasons:
1. It's aftermarket, so it's probably bad.
2. It'll be much more noticeable, as it sticks onto the original trim.

Looking on ETKA, it seems the SW version of the MK7 has OEM chrome surrounds option only for the bottom part of the window. Part numbers are as follows:

5G4-837-475-VNH - Front left
5G4-837-476-VNH - Front right
5G9-839-475-VNH - Rear left
5G9-839-476-VNH - Rear right

However, I'm not sure if this will fit the hatchback MK7 as I'm not sure if the sizing is the same.

Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: Looking online, there seems to be a difference in the rear window size between the regular MK7 and the SW version. That kinda sucks that there is no OEM solution for chrome surrounds.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
I don’t know the answer to you question but maybe my remarks could be useful for you. I’ve bought some set from eBay, they supposed to be for hatchback. In fact I bought two in order to have spare trims for the rear side windows of Wagon. While modifying it, I found out that those for rear doors doesn’t fit properly. I’m not sure, as I fitted them two years ago, but I think I have cut a small part of them meaning that those genuine Wagon trim should be a tiny bit shorter.

However, I‘m still satisfied with it as it fits nicely together with aluminum roof racks. One can see a difference versus genuine only when looking really close. The other question is that there are no such trims on the hatchback.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I don’t know the answer to you question but maybe my remarks could be useful for you. I’ve bought some set from eBay, they supposed to be for hatchback. In fact I bought two in order to have spare trims for the rear side windows of Wagon. While modifying it, I found out that those for rear doors doesn’t fit properly. I’m not sure, as I fitted them two years ago, but I think I have cut a small part of them meaning that those genuine Wagon trim should be a tiny bit shorter.

However, I‘m still satisfied with it as it fits nicely together with aluminum roof racks. One can see a difference versus genuine only when looking really close. The other question is that there are no such trims on the hatchback.

Can you show me the listing? It doesn't make sense that they're supposed to be for hatchback because there are no genuine parts for the hatchback - only for the wagon.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
The link is unfortunately dead as I purchased it two years ago. It was Chinese made and as vast majority of Golfs sold worldwide are hatchbacks so non-genuine mods are made for them in the first place. I’ve heard that some for Wagon appeared few months ago, also on ebay/ali because genuine retrofit is very expensive given a need to change rubber seals in each door and to even remove trunk side windows and change the whole frame there as the trim there has some kind of hooks.

But if you look there, you can also find tons of full frame chrome trim for hatchback like Mk6 Wagon, Passat Wagon or Škoda Octavia has, even with covers for B and rear window pillars – those I don’t like at all. But I think that just the lower line would be fine, Mk8 hatchback has it as well and I like it. But it depends solely on you.

I’ve paid something like 25 USD for a set of four trims, shipping included. In shekel I don’t know it keep appreciating like hell :)

Feel free to ask for photos…

Last edited:

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
My car is out now, found one piece from inside where you can see that there is no gap between the trim and the seal.

141601638_453734815786485_4725373969791684380_n.jpg

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Found one more from the outside
1384bf964a730e7c7feffc439d131227.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The estate only gets the bottom section with a chrome trim..& usually only on the GT version...can't remember if the GTD/Alltrack/R/R-line get it...

Front door will fit, as the same as hatch, rear door should fit with a slight modification as the rear upper part of the door is different to the hatch, & the new estate bit is from the glass/metal join where the chrome trim is..