GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Choosing between Bilstein B4 & B6 Damptronics

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'm finally looking to replace the shocks on my 2015 Autobahn (with 110k miles, probably should have done this quite a while ago). I have and love DCC, and for most of the year with my 18" summer wheels and tires, I have the DCC in Comfort most of the time unless I'm out on a twisty backroad, when I'm in Sport. In the winter with my 17" wheels, I'm in Normal the majority of the time, and Sport on the good roads. I don't track my car and I live in Brooklyn with laughably terrible roads but spend a lot of time on long road trips – often 2000 miles or more – which I do on backroads almost exclusively, not using the highways much.

From what I've read, the B4s therefore sound like the ones to go for, because the B6s would mean I'd lose the comfortable setting for most of the year when I'm on my summer wheels, and gain a setting that's probably stiffer than I need. But I'm wondering if there are differences in the quality of the dampening and/or the longevity of these two sets of shocks? Stiffness aside for a second, would the B6s provide better handling at the comparable setting, or would it be the same (ie., would the B6s in Comfort provide better dampening, less rebound, etc., than the B4s in Normal, or would they feel the same)? And, are the B6s expected to last longer that the B4s, or should they be about the same? And, bearing in mind the mileage I have on my stock struts, is it possible that even with the stiffer B6s, I'd actually find the upgraded dampening would make the ride feel nicer even if it's a stage stiffer than what I'm used to, and I'd actually prefer it...?

Any general thoughts from anyone running either set with DCC, or comparisons to stock shocks, would also be helpful. I've read the threads about it, but there doesn't seem to be much feedback from people after they made their decision, particularly about the Damptronic B4s. Oh, and I'm on DG springs since about 70k miles, and plan on sticking with those.

Thanks!

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'd call Bilstein in San Diego and discuss directly with them. I doubt anyone here has actually experienced both options, so any responses will just be conjecture. Bilstein peeps should be able to give you some real answers to your questions that will help you make a decision. Good luck!

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
@KevinC Thanks! Yeah I figured either that was the case, or it was for some reason too stupid question a question to merit an answer, haha. Cheers.

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
@Boje Can you share your findings? I'm on DG springs and am considering either the B4 or B6 damptronics

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
@Boje Can you share your findings? I'm on DG springs and am considering either the B4 or B6 damptronics

This is actually as far as I got with this question, but I have since discussed it with my mechanic (works on a lot of high-end cars, is a race driver) who says I should 100% go with the B4s or OEM replacements, the logic being that if I like my car mostly because of how it handles and feels to drive, which I do, then he says I will almost certainly like it less if I get stiffer shocks and I think he's right. The real question I was asking in this thread, whether the B6s are in any way 'better' than the B4s, rather than just a bit stiffer, I still don't know the answer to because I never got around to calling Bilstein. If I do I'll update the thread

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
I have b6 with dg springs and I think its how to car should of been equipped. I think people are basing the harshness of the strut on a different platform and comparing it to the mqb. My coworker has b6 on his saab and was telling me how bad it was going to be, but I'm completely blown away with how it really woke the car up.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
I have b6 with dg springs and I think its how to car should of been equipped. I think people are basing the harshness of the strut on a different platform and comparing it to the mqb. My coworker has b6 on his saab and was telling me how bad it was going to be, but I'm completely blown away with how it really woke the car up.

I think it would be beneficial to decision making if you could also post additional info, such as: your DCC settings, other susp mods, driving style, tolerance for NVH, usual road conditions, etc.

OP seems to drive mostly in Comfort/Normal, but if you're always in Sport, then it won't help him. I have mixed setting (Sport/Normal/Eco[soundaktor]) usually, but Comfort when I have passengers or I know I'm going to drive thru a particularly bad patch of road.

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
I think it would be beneficial to decision making if you could also post additional info, such as: your DCC settings, other susp mods, driving style, tolerance for NVH, usual road conditions, etc.

OP seems to drive mostly in Comfort/Normal, but if you're always in Sport, then it won't help him. I have mixed setting (Sport/Normal/Eco[soundaktor]) usually, but Comfort when I have passengers or I know I'm going to drive thru a particularly bad patch of road.
I have the base model so no dcc, but I ham very high sensitivity to nvh. I put on a took the metal apr and then the rubber bfi torque mount insert out due to the excessive vibrations and unplugged my soundaktor. I have an is38 stage 3 tune with stock exhaust because I can't stand the noise of a downpipe. I drive mostly city with 3 miles on the highway daily. The only reason why I put on the b6 was I was trying to diagnose a small clunk in my front end. It was my only viable option at the time and was very nervous about the harshness due to my coworker scaring me. The car feels like a ttrs, very planted and made a world of difference.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I have (retrofitted) DCC, using B4 Damptronics. When I was ordering parts for this job I didn't realize there were B4 Damptronics, thought it was only B6 or B16. Even though OEM DCC dampers are more expensive I was going to go with them over B6 because Comfort is my jam, haha. I did not want to always have a stiff ride. For what it's worth, my non DCC B8's felt similar to the B4 Damptronics in Sport. Both the B6 and B8 are advertised as sport dampers, for stock and lowered ride height, respectively.

In all of my research everyone said that B6 Damptronics made took everything one step up... B6 Comfort = OEM Normal, B6 Normal = OEM Sport, etc. My understanding is there is no quality difference between B4/B6 and that both should be better than OEM in that regard.

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I currently have DG springs, a dogbone insert, and thicker RSB and am pretty satisfied with the normal DCC setting. I switch to comfort for passengers and sport for twisty roads.. Given that, it looks like I should stick with B4? Is there any benefit with the B6 over the B4 other than making everything stiffer by one setting?

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I currently have DG springs, a dogbone insert, and thicker RSB and am pretty satisfied with the normal DCC setting. I switch to comfort for passengers and sport for twisty roads.. Given that, it looks like I should stick with B4? Is there any benefit with the B6 over the B4 other than making everything stiffer by one setting?

Ha, this is the exact question that started this thread. The consensus is that the only difference is stiffness, not build quality or anything else, but I don't think anyone has called Bilstein to ask for details. If you regularly use the Comfort setting with OEM shocks, then stick with B4s; you'll lose that setting with B6s.

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Haha back to square one. I think I'll be sticking with the B4s if sport mode is pretty much like the non DCC B8s

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
@Boje @Yungaxel3 have either of you installed the B4 DampTronics? I am looking at making the same decision; B4 vs. B6
I went with B6 Damptronics, was definitely the right choice. As I'd hoped, the dampening is so sophisticated-feeling, the slight increase in stiffness is completely mitigated by it. Sadly I wrote my car off three days after installation, but it felt absolutely amazing with them on.

yungaxel3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
@RabbitTwo I haven't made the switch yet.

Sorry to hear that @Boje. Thanks for the review though. I'll probably be getting the B6 when my stock struts wear out.