GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chirping/squealing when turning left.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Update: Removing the Fluidampr fixed the noise. The part of the pulley that interfaced with the front main seal was rubbing against the seal, causing the noise. There is scoring on the pulley, which is inconsistent, indicating the pulley was out of round and slightly too large for the opening.

I'm shocked, these pulleys are built to exacting standards and failures are rare.

I am probably going to have the replace the entire front main seal. Ugh.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Did you use new stretch hardware, and proper torque sequence on the install?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I reached out to them before I did this "surgery" and they immediately responded and offered to look at it. Im pretty happy with their response. The only issue is that it will be hard to determine if this was truly a defect or an installing issue.

I really blame VW here, since the crank pulley uses a scalloping pattern to mate to the timing sprocket, instead of a being keyed in (foolproof) like nearly every other engine in existence.

It's very easy to bolt the pulley in slightly askew, as the VW holder tool will only mate to the VW pulley.

The good news is, this isn't catastrophic, it's just probably going to cause a slight oil leak out of the pulley hole. I've done a front main seal on a gen 2 engine, it's not that bad, and on gen 3 the charge pipe isn't in your way so it's a bit easier.

Pay to play [emoji26]

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That's great they're willing to at least look into it. If nothing else it's a learning experience and might help them with development or someone with install in the future

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Subscribed for their response. Just had one installed on my R.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
So, good news, I don't see a leak. Better news, the front main seal doesn't require replacing the pan, just the $7 rubber ring.

I'll replace it on my next oil change.

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
I'm glad you found it. My squeak has turned into a rattle (low speed, more so when turning). This damn car now rattles like a 90's Civic.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
Damn, I have replaced almost everything else, well the dealer has, thinking it couldn't be the Fluidmpr. I still cannot understand why turning left or cold starts make it worse. Mine was installed by the dealer, and was silent for 10k miles so I still don't get how this would develop after use.

I don't want to go through removing mine. I guess I just have to keep an eye on it and check for leaks.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
So here is what all the noise was about...

As you can see, something was carving that groove, and unevenly. Sadly I had bolted the old damper on before I noticed this so I didn't get to look. But nothing looked off when I was looking, and the diameters looked the same when I compared the two pulleys.

Will be sending to Fluidampr this week for analysis.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I had this same issue, but my crank pulley is stock, not a Fluidamper. The OEM pulley had a groove cut into it from metal on metal contact. This is the main cause of the chirping. There is a TSA out for it. The dealer replaced the pulley (harmonic balancer), seal, and bolt. The serpentine belt was chewed up on the edges, so I had them replace it, but I had to pay for the belt as it is a wear item. No extra labor charge since the belt has to come off anyway. The chirping is gone, for now. The engine runs a bit smoother at idle and off idle.

This is only the second warranty issue I've had on this car, which I bought pre-owned with 11K miles. The other issue was a failed hatch light switch, which to be fair, could have been caused by the previous owner slamming the hatch closed.