GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chipped paint on my house wall :-(

Dazza78

Ready to race!
I've managed to put a small chip on my door as I touched(!) it against my house wall getting out the car. Quite surprised how easily it damaged from so little contact. I literally just pushed it slightly on the wall by accident. I did this a few times in my old astra and never once had it chip!

I've ordered a pot of touch up paint from a store on eBay deep black pearl, it's not that bad but my OCD is working overtime. Anyone have experience on using touch up paint?

Dazza78

Ready to race!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,503

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I've managed to put a small chip on my door as I touched(!) it against my house wall getting out the car. Quite surprised how easily it damaged from so little contact. I literally just pushed it slightly on the wall by accident. I did this a few times in my old astra and never once had it chip!

I've ordered a pot of touch up paint from a store on eBay deep black pearl, it's not that bad but my OCD is working overtime. Anyone have experience on using touch up paint?

A guy at work who has the same type car as me, we were chatting the other day, he mentioned chipex as a great product for things like this, he reckons it's much better than touch up sticks/paint.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
The first chip is always the worse ...

The one thing I've learnt over the years is not to use the integral brush in touch-in kits .

Far better in my experience to use a cocktail stick to apply a little paint at a time and allow it to dry and build up thin layers.

There are plenty of articles on You Tube on dealing with paint chips.

Dazza78

Ready to race!
Cheers avanti will look it up, can't believe how easy it was to damage, you too vwman I might try the cocktail stick method as I've ordered the paint now

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Cheers avanti will look it up, can't believe how easy it was to damage

Car Paint vs brick, the brick will always win sadly, my previous garage was a squeeze to get in and out of the car, I now have a double garage, but the right of way is challenging day or night, I'm on the thought of not if but when :eek:

Wolksvagen

Banned
I'm dealing with the VW dealership over a spot worn down to the primer in just four weeks, is in the same area but in the rear passenger door on the drivers side.

I was informed that cars now have very thin paint and that included VW.

From the ease at which it has worn and the numerous stone chips, it is also very soft.

Last golf was a mk4 with the best paint job I've seen on a car, it was super thick and did not suffer the wear shown in my 5 week old golf.

Wolksvagen

Banned
I think ill buy a medium size pack of chipex then

Let's us know how it works out, before/after pics would be great.

I know I'm turning into the forum whiner and nobody likes a whiner, I'd much rather report on enjoying the car, which unfortunately is overshadowed by numerous faults.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I had a Chipex kit for my Golf Mk6 and can't recommend it highly enough - I'll be getting one for the Golf Mk7 very soon.

The Volkswagen and similar touch-up paints are way too thick and don't work well.

I honestly wouldn't use any other touch-up product. With care you can touch up pretty close to perfect if you follow the instructions to the letter.

Chipex.co.uk

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
just use the vw touch up for little chips like that but the secret is mixing a little paint with some cellulose thinners as that way it goes on better and isn't gloopy and thick. chipex for bigger scratches or more chips. the fact it's on the edge of the door means if it's done properly you won't even see it. cocktail stick or child's paint brush with most of the bristles cut off is the best thing to use too.