GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chip Shortage

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Too many people taking the one chip challenge......

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'd be curious to know the correlation of this and the used car price increase. Yesterday I saw a dealer trying to sell a 2003 Chevrolet S-10 extended cab for $14k. Granted it only had 73k on it, but still. That's about what my 2015 GTI with 52k is worth haha. KBB had the truck averaging $5k to $8k max.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I work for a computer manufacturer. They have roughly a 6 month back log on many components because of this. With how high prices are for any car used or new I basically had to make the tough decision to do a new dsg on my wife’s mk6 instead of offloading it and buying something. Couldn’t swing a car payment on top of the one I am already paying for my mk7.5

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yep, it's true. Been waiting on my wife's Aviator to be built for a while now and it finally has a production date of 10/6. Chip shortage has increased lead times for a lot of equipment needs in my industry as well.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
In the UK, because of the chip shortage, dealers are currently quoting 57 weeks lead time for a factory order mk8 Golf GTI - that’s a long while to wait. Used prices have also gone crazy because of the long wait or unavailability of new cars. Some nearly new cars are being advertised at more than the new list price - sometimes by quite an appreciable margin 😯.

I saw a nearly new mk8 Golf R advertised for sale last week at £59,999 (roughly US $81,270). That’s quite a lot more than the new price, and It wasn’t fully optioned either!

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'd be curious to know the correlation of this and the used car price increase. Yesterday I saw a dealer trying to sell a 2003 Chevrolet S-10 extended cab for $14k. Granted it only had 73k on it, but still. That's about what my 2015 GTI with 52k is worth haha. KBB had the truck averaging $5k to $8k max.
Supply and demand. Supply of cars is low but demand is high. That means higher prices until either the demand falls or the supply increases.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Supply and demand. Supply of cars is low but demand is high. That means higher prices until either the demand falls or the supply increases.
My wife found a mk6 with 60k miles for 2k more than I paid for her’s when I bought it new. That should give an idea of how it is impacting used prices.