GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat19: 10k Posts Achieved In Revived Dead Thread

Jaber

Modero
whats for lunch today? I had one of those Burger King Impossible Burgers. Anyone ever tried one? They are really good..... if you like burger king that is. Tastes exactly like a regular beef whopper - I was really surprised

I tried it when it first came out. I was surprised as well. Too bad it isn't much healthier than the regular Whopper. But it's a nice alternative for those that do not eat meat. Although it is cooked on the same equipment I believe.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Making chili yeah

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
I've got usaa, they suck. My claim debacle took 11 months to get settled with very little communication from them. They did pay me out for 100% acv and waived my deductible though. Helps slightly that I knew more about insurance than my adjuster.

You're the first person I've ever heard have something bad to say about USAA insurance. I've known dozens of folks (real life or around the forumz) who have it, love it, and have said that all the other providers can't touch them.

Not calling shenanigans on your post or anything. Just surprised. Usually everybody loves them.

I have State Farm. They're not what they used to be? They still work, and in shopping for new providers over the last year (Jr. driving soon so gotta shuffle some vehicles) nobody has been able to come close to the rates I'm paying with them. I feel like, with the last couple claims, I've had to push/prod them a bit before they act, which is annoying. Wasn't that way 20 years ago. But I'm still afraid to try some of the smaller companies...

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Making chili yeah

Been craving Chili for the last week. Wife and I haven't been able to align on dinner choices yet that included chili as an option.

I broke down and had chili from Jason's Deli for lunch today. For "fast food" chili it wasn't horrible.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
You're the first person I've ever heard have something bad to say about USAA insurance. I've known dozens of folks (real life or around the forumz) who have it, love it, and have said that all the other providers can't touch them.

Not calling shenanigans on your post or anything. Just surprised. Usually everybody loves them.

I have State Farm. They're not what they used to be? They still work, and in shopping for new providers over the last year (Jr. driving soon so gotta shuffle some vehicles) nobody has been able to come close to the rates I'm paying with them. I feel like, with the last couple claims, I've had to push/prod them a bit before they act, which is annoying. Wasn't that way 20 years ago. But I'm still afraid to try some of the smaller companies...
when i switch i'll let you know... my quotes are far less than what i have with current provider.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yeah got 4-5" by me? It was enough to make a mess, cover all the grass, make the roads a disaster, cause me to shovel the driveway, and bring on the midwest winter depression.

My theory is that, since we're getting January weather in early November - we'll have March weather by early January.
Yup..disaster here too. Kids didn't have school on Tuesday

I really like your theory, lol

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
we only got about 1 - 2 inches yesterday - plus like 3 inches or so the day before Halloween - I hate it. its supposed to be back up in the 40s by then end of the week so it will all be gone soon enough.
Yeah it's "supposed to" go back to normal here too, next week, but starting off with snow in the beginning of November really is a heartbreaker

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
i've got my eyes on Amica - Geico dropped the ball hard, and i have not heard anything good about progressive when you're doing a claim.

Ive been with Progressive for about 10 years now - ive never had to file a claims so I cant comment on that but the price is right. I pay a little over $550 per year.

I have Progressive and have for a while....going on 20 years now, since I was listed on my parent's policy before too and that counted towards my history/loyalty.
The price is totally right and the cheapest I've found, for a reputable/known company.

BUT I think you're right about the claim part. The wife got hit yesterday in her new (3 week old) '20 Traverse and they're being stupid already. The other girl ran a red light, and there was a witness, so it's not her fault. Although we're in "no fault" land here in Michigan (which is stupid) and we need to wait for the police report (takes a week).
Best case, assuming she has insurance, is that we do a "mini tort" and get our deductible money back. If not...we're out the $500 deductible for something that wasn't even our fault. Dumb

Of course, they wanted us to go to their Progressive shop to get things expedited quicker she said....no thanks.
I was just gonna take it to the Chevy dealer that is 5 minutes up the road instead.
Anyways....the body shop guy says Progressive will come out and look at my car at my house.
The front end is blown out/missing, but the car is drive able. We don't have rental car coverage, but the dealer said they'd give us a free loaner while the car is actually getting repaired.
Well the "agent" I have assigned to my claim calls me and says that I need to drop if off on Monday at the dealer for the adjuster to look at it, and they'll look at it "within 2-3 days."
So I need to just let my car sit there, and be without a car, for what should be a under 1/2 hour job to estimate because they're incapable of scheduling??
So then I had to call her back again, because I wasn't having that, and she said I could request a "field adjuster" and they'd come look at it IN 7-10 days because I "wasn't a priority." WTF???
Then she comes back on the line and says she sent me a link instead where I can snap SPECIFIC photos of the car and they'll basically do a online/remote estimate and it'll only take 1 day. I gotta do that today.
Yikes

So after I get an estimate, forward that to the body shop & he can order the parts, wait for parts to come in, then drop the car off, get a loaner car and then wait for it to be done.
Major pain in the ass.

So yeah...maybe it pays to have a local agent instead

Phur

Autocross Champion

Everything you just said... Not all of our issues have been with the insurance company, with the house it has mostly been contractors dragging their feet. I am still trying to get my crawlspace finished though, which is beyond irritating. Now I have another claim going thanks to the raccoon that decided to faceplant into the front of my car. (It regretted it) I think I'm going to get an ED35 bumper out of it though.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I have Progressive and have for a while....going on 20 years now, since I was listed on my parent's policy before too and that counted towards my history/loyalty.
The price is totally right and the cheapest I've found, for a reputable/known company.

BUT I think you're right about the claim part. The wife got hit yesterday in her new (3 week old) '20 Traverse and they're being stupid already. The other girl ran a red light, and there was a witness, so it's not her fault. Although we're in "no fault" land here in Michigan (which is stupid) and we need to wait for the police report (takes a week).
Best case, assuming she has insurance, is that we do a "mini tort" and get our deductible money back. If not...we're out the $500 deductible for something that wasn't even our fault. Dumb

Of course, they wanted us to go to their Progressive shop to get things expedited quicker she said....no thanks.
I was just gonna take it to the Chevy dealer that is 5 minutes up the road instead.
Anyways....the body shop guy says Progressive will come out and look at my car at my house.
The front end is blown out/missing, but the car is drive able. We don't have rental car coverage, but the dealer said they'd give us a free loaner while the car is actually getting repaired.
Well the "agent" I have assigned to my claim calls me and says that I need to drop if off on Monday at the dealer for the adjuster to look at it, and they'll look at it "within 2-3 days."
So I need to just let my car sit there, and be without a car, for what should be a under 1/2 hour job to estimate because they're incapable of scheduling??
So then I had to call her back again, because I wasn't having that, and she said I could request a "field adjuster" and they'd come look at it IN 7-10 days because I "wasn't a priority." WTF???
Then she comes back on the line and says she sent me a link instead where I can snap SPECIFIC photos of the car and they'll basically do a online/remote estimate and it'll only take 1 day. I gotta do that today.
Yikes

So after I get an estimate, forward that to the body shop & he can order the parts, wait for parts to come in, then drop the car off, get a loaner car and then wait for it to be done.
Major pain in the ass.

So yeah...maybe it pays to have a local agent instead

yeah i've learned that in the future when they ask if the car is drivable, to either say NO or "I am unsure" simply to keep your priority of things. just because it rolls doesn't mean your frame isn't bent, right?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Geico paid out my owed money for the rental reimbursement - they credited my debit card within minutes, which is kind of cool. now i won't have to wait a week to pay off that balance on my CC.

Jaber

Modero
Statefarm can go suck on a lemon. In 2011 when my car flooded in our condo's parking lot, I was the very last one (and the only person with SF) to get a replacement vehicle. Everyone else had a check written out by the second week and purchased another vehicle. It took them 3 weeks to go look at it and then another week to process my check, which I had to go pick up at some temporary office they setup. They kept giving me excuse after excuse. I had to call them every other day.

Fast forward to last year, the driver that totaled my GTI had State Farm. State Farm started the "well he claims his steering wheel locked and this and that. We can set you up with a rental for a maximum of $30 a day for a week". I hung up and decided to go through my insurance instead and got a rental up to $50 per day. I eventually got my deductible back after SF paid Nationwide back for everything 5 months later. Nationwide gave me a fair amount for the GTI and I had a check within a week of the accident. There was a 2-day delay because I had to physically receive paperwork and send it back.

Dashcams FTW.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Statefarm can go suck on a lemon. In 2011 when my car flooded in our condo's parking lot, I was the very last one (and the only person with SF) to get a replacement vehicle. Everyone else had a check written out by the second week and purchased another vehicle. It took them 3 weeks to go look at it and then another week to process my check, which I had to go pick up at some temporary office they setup. They kept giving me excuse after excuse. I had to call them every other day.

Fast forward to last year, the driver that totaled my GTI had State Farm. State Farm started the "well he claims his steering wheel locked and this and that. We can set you up with a rental for a maximum of $30 a day for a week". I hung up and decided to go through my insurance instead and got a rental up to $50 per day. I eventually got my deductible back after SF paid Nationwide back for everything 5 months later. Nationwide gave me a fair amount for the GTI and I had a check within a week of the accident. There was a 2-day delay because I had to physically receive paperwork and send it back.

Dashcams FTW.

Yeah but SF tried to work for him, didn't they? ;)

Both of my claims over the last couple years - both rear-enders - SF eventually paid out, and paid out just fine, but 20 years ago it would've been open/shut case. These times it was 20 million questions. When the guy hit the wife in her first Boxster, and it was questionable whether the guy was actually covered, my agent told me I should try to work with his insurance as far as I could before involving my own. THAT irritated me and I let him know it. The next time around, when I got rear-ended, he took much more swift action.

I'll say the single most reason I stick with SF? The lack of pressure from the SF side on which shop to use. They ask me if I need a recommended body shop, I tell them, "Nope I know where it's going to go....", they ask, "Ok, where?" and I tell them "A&L" and they usually say "OH! A&L yes we're familiar with them. Okay we'll send the adjuster."

A&L does good work, fights for the right parts. A&L also knows all the adjusters from SF and have good relationships with them. I know the work and the payout is going to be legit.

I hear horror stories about which shops to use and insurance making a stink about it. The last thing I need is to raise my blood pressure arguing with somebody about using Chinese parts on my car.