GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland Chat Thread

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So what car parts are you guys hoping makes its way under the Christmas tree?

Today I swapped an engine for a mk6 cc guy. He let me keep the old motor for an added bonus, I'll probably rebuild it and sell it.

20191207_155344.jpg
20191207_155407.jpg

meech

Car(s)
'17 GTI
Hey fellow Chicagoans!
I am new to owning a performance car so spare me but I topped off my mk7 gti with G13 about 2 months ago and just recently noticed my coolant was back to being very low. I am not a super spirited driver so the coolant level seems kind of concerning. Also I cant see any obvious leaks. Is this common to go through that much coolant or do you think it is the case that there is a leak somewhere?
IMG_4669.JPG

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Hey fellow Chicagoans!
I am new to owning a performance car so spare me but I topped off my mk7 gti with G13 about 2 months ago and just recently noticed my coolant was back to being very low. I am not a super spirited driver so the coolant level seems kind of concerning. Also I cant see any obvious leaks. Is this common to go through that much coolant or do you think it is the case that there is a leak somewhere?
View attachment 161321
Waterpumps/thermostats can be an issue on these cars which may or may not be related to your coolant loss: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/thermostat-housing-and-water-pump-fail.353715/

meech

Car(s)
'17 GTI
So I have yet to take my car in for any work but I want to get my water pump issue fixed properly. Does anyone know of any good shops in the chicagoland area that are reasonably priced and specialize in vw so that I can get the proper work done for my car?

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So I have yet to take my car in for any work but I want to get my water pump issue fixed properly. Does anyone know of any good shops in the chicagoland area that are reasonably priced and specialize in vw so that I can get the proper work done for my car?
Send me a pm with what you need, I specialize in vw's and don't charge an arm and a leg.

TimFell

Ready to race!
Sorry all, it has been quite a while. Very busy with college and internships. Here is an update on the car (Previous mods: APR intake, springs, wheels):
  • APR Stage 2 ECU, DSG Tune
  • AWE track catback with CTS catted downpipe
  • Exterior mods (lights, spoiler)
Not sure what I am looking to do next. Car feels really great where it's at, but always looking for the next thing.
69861295_1261629260682932_4449499429036097536_o.jpg

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Sorry all, it has been quite a while. Very busy with college and internships. Here is an update on the car (Previous mods: APR intake, springs, wheels):
  • APR Stage 2 ECU, DSG Tune
  • AWE track catback with CTS catted downpipe
  • Exterior mods (lights, spoiler)
Not sure what I am looking to do next. Car feels really great where it's at, but always looking for the next thing.
View attachment 162244
Looking good. Motor mounts are a game changer and are relatively cheap

dmals

Passed Driver's Ed
x2 on the recommendations of upgrading the mounts, I went with BFI stage 1 mounts after going FBO stage 2 with Unitronic and they have been rock solid. Also had Jay and Carson install my mounts they do great work and literally finished the job in less than an hour.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ oh nice, i'm getting in with them ASAP to install mounts as well! I got 034 street density for engine, trans and dogbone. super excite. :D

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
x2 on the recommendations of upgrading the mounts, I went with BFI stage 1 mounts after going FBO stage 2 with Unitronic and they have been rock solid. Also had Jay and Carson install my mounts they do great work and literally finished the job in less than an hour.
Thanks man happy to help. Glad you're enjoying putting that power to the ground!
^ oh nice, i'm getting in with them ASAP to install mounts as well! I got 034 street density for engine, trans and dogbone. super excite. :D
Going to feel like a different car when it's done ?