GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicago Auto Pros - interesting vlog mini series on GTI engine problems.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
This is one of my favorite channels to watch and learn about detailing. Recently the creator had some serious issues with his GTI. The first link is the most recent so start at the bottom if you want to watch them in order.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
They're informative videos, but I think they over-exaggerate the crank walk issue. It's definitely a legitimate problem, but the videos make it sound like this will happen to everybody who puts a stage 2 and up clutch in their car.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
I watched these two videos a couple of days ago. The takeaway for me was how bloody expensive it is (or can be) to fix a broken GTI these days. NLT $5K for a salvage motor of unknown quality? Ten thousand dollars for new OEM motor and another $2k to install it? I don't doubt the poster's car can be repaired for less, but not much less -- and certainly not enough less to make you think the cost is "reasonable."

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
What is overlooked a little bit I think is that the new motor cost they spec in the video includes upgraded rods / pistons / bearings etc. I'm sure a keyed crank is factored in considering the original issue, different gaskets, head studs, the works.

So the labor and parts costs are higher than we would normally expect for an OEM motor + install

That still doesn't mean it'd be cheap though

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Yeah the new motor cost in the video is for a performance build. If that were for a stock engine he might as well part his old GTI out and buy another.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I watched these two videos a couple of days ago. The takeaway for me was how bloody expensive it is (or can be) to fix a broken GTI these days. NLT $5K for a salvage motor of unknown quality? Ten thousand dollars for new OEM motor and another $2k to install it? I don't doubt the poster's car can be repaired for less, but not much less -- and certainly not enough less to make you think the cost is "reasonable."

A friend of mine picked up a 12,000 mile R motor for $1900 from a salvage yard.

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
A friend of mine picked up a 12,000 mile R motor for $1900 from a salvage yard.
He probably could get a better deal. The price on the low end was supported by what the shop could source. I imagine if they source something a bit cheaper it won't be too bad. Im doing a rebuild now and it sure as heck is cheaper than all their prices.