GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check oil light issue MK7

rpettit21

So recently when driving I noticed the check oil light came on when driving to work, I checked the oil when I got there after waiting some time and it was about halfway on the dipstick, light went after I checked it, but I topped it off anyway. About 3 days later it came back on and the oil level has hardly changed since I added it, could a sensor be off or am I just burning that much oil?

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
From the owner's manual the oil is to be checked when at operating temperature, mine says to let the car sit a few minutes then check. So if you do this and the oil level is between the marks then you should be good. Sensors being sensors they can fail or be off. If the oil level is correct per your manual and this continues I would have the dealer or maybe someone with an OBD can check for faults with this sensor. Keep checking the oil for awhile to be on the safe side but I doubt you are burning any.

Wolfie138

i had something very similar. the "top up" light came on when driving to work, when i left in the afternoon, it didn't come on. got a bottle of oil anyways.
a week later, it came on again. handbook said to top up no more than half a litre, so i put in about a quarter. few days later, light came on again, so i put another 1/4 in and booked her in at the dealers - she's only got 5k on the clock.
long story short, they just topped it up and said it usually takes one or two litres :-/
that was December, nothing since.