GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check oil level orange triangle light

joejckone

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GTI PP
New to this thread so go easy on me!
Car: 2016 Golf GTI mk7 PP
I have a problem with a ‘check oil level’ light that is now on for its second time. Came on last year and VW replaced the oil level sensor as apparently it was reporting a fault. Light came off but strangely mentioned that they couldn’t guarantee it wouldn’t come back on without replacing the hood latch sensor too. I ignored this as I thought they were just trying to upsell me. Turn over another year, the light has come back on. VW have now dig a little deeper and has found out my car has been mapped (I hadn’t been told this at sale in 2019) and are blaming this on the light (ignoring their previous claims about a potential fault on the hood latch). They are basically wanting to reset my ecu to properly diagnose the light but are warning me this could completely mess the ECU up and it may need replacing after (1k bill).
Does anyone have any advice for me please?

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
do you have in writing that the car was sold as stock? That should give u enough of a legal document for them to fix the issue under warranty. For them to sell a mapped ecu without notifying you and not honoring the product they sell is scummy.
Have you taken it to an indepedent shop for them to give you their opinion? It may take time to find the right shop, but if the dealer is standing by their word, then an independent may diagnose correctly and repair for far far less than the stealer, sorry, dealer.
If you aren’t at the mercy of a dealer, then I would diagnose the electrical signals at the connector and see if there is good ground and a voltage at the pins. Or just replace the sensor yourself.