GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap Impact Gun

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This bad mamma jamma will run circles around that Ryobi

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2554-20#sp-specs

Weighs 2lbs, will put out 250 ft lbs. It fits almost everywhere so you’ll use it a lot more than a bigger one. I’ve got the M18 1/2” that does 1100ft lbs and very rarely use it because the 3/8 stubby is so badas.

I will warn you Milwaukee tools are addictive. So far I’ve got

M12:

-Dremel (they don’t call it that)

-impact driver

-compact drill

-3/8 stubby impact

M18:

-1/2 Impact

-hammer drill

Not saying everyone needs that kind of fire power, but the M12 & M18 battery suites out gun basically everything as far as performance & longevity. I can throw a 10+ year old M12 my neighbor has in my tools and it works like new...every other tool brand re designs their batteries every 2-5 years forcing you to re buy everything

Why no ratchet? I find it more comfortable to use than using the gun form factor stuff when working on things below me.

The impact driver is gentle enough on the 1 setting to put interior screws in with no problem. Setting 3 has enough balls to undo lug nuts.

I use my M18 hammer drill for ice fishing. That thing will drill 50+ holes through 12 inches of ice with a 6 inch diameter auger on a single 5 AH battery. It's a freakin beast.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Why no ratchet? I find it more comfortable to use than using the gun form factor stuff when working on things below me.

The impact driver is gentle enough on the 1 setting to put interior screws in with no problem. Setting 3 has enough balls to undo lug nuts.

I use my M18 hammer drill for ice fishing. That thing will drill 50+ holes through 12 inches of ice with a 6 inch diameter auger on a single 5 AH battery. It's a freakin beast.

I’ve stood at Home Depot holding the ratchets lol, it’s only a matter of time.

My tool buying addiction is real, and the wife isn’t a fan, but she uses the M12 impact driver regularly so I wouldn’t dare take it back to the shop haha.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I’ve stood at Home Depot holding the ratchets lol, it’s only a matter of time.

My tool buying addiction is real, and the wife isn’t a fan, but she uses the M12 impact driver regularly so I wouldn’t dare take it back to the shop haha.

Did you hold a 2557 or did you hold a new 2567? The 2567 is the new high speed (lower torque, high speed) fuel ratchet. The OG 2557 has it's place (if you're doing suspension, brakes, etc) but it's too much ratchet for what I do. I just ordered a 2567.

But be aware there are two versions of the fuel ratchet now! :)

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
While Ridgid won't compete with brands like Milwaukee, it has plenty of torque to take off lug nuts and has been working for me.

Wait for a good sale at Home Depot, and it's a great deal. I got an impact wrench, impact driver, single battery charger, 2x 2Ah batteries, 2x 1.5Ah for $179. Comes with their lifetime service agreement, and you get free repairs for life, including batteries.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
In 2008 I bought my first home. For a gift my dad bought me a simple Ryobi tool kit in a bag. He also tossed on the impact screw driver.

13yrs later I still abuse the fuck out of that poor driver. Break speed is about 15ftlbs so cam tower bolts wiz right off. Same abuse with the drill that came with that kit. I’ve added a few tools to the team since then.

3yrs I bought the same electric 1/2” 3-spd impact and it has never let me down. 3rd gear for stubborn lugs after a winter of salt. If it still sticky, just gently grab the dugga dugga socket and add a bit more friction. Like above I use 1st gear for putting lugs down to get the wheels seated and clocked. Then torque in place with my shoe jamming the tire. Recheck torque on ground, drive around block and recheck. That impact is bloody amazing. I use the piss out of it every project on the taco.

while you’re lookin at tools in the set, grab a slim battery and the LED folding stand light. The plastic hooks were spaced for a MKVII hood.

sad to say since I got my 1/2” impact I haven’t kicked up my big compressor.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Did someone say Milwaukee addiction?
This is an older pic I have the 1/4” high speed now as well. Being in one battery family is so much better. Just sold my Matco ratchets I haven’t figured out my next purchase with that money.
61FFFDFF-2ECA-4876-B0DA-BD38F2A4DB34.jpeg

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Did someone say Milwaukee addiction?
This is an older pic I have the 1/4” high speed now as well. Being in one battery family is so much better. Just sold my Matco ratchets I haven’t figured out my next purchase with that money.
View attachment 208157
Yessssss
20201130_211233.jpg

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I am slowly accumulating tools but only have 1 impact so far. 1/2” DeWalt. Thing is a beast though. I would to get something a little smaller for suspension work, this is a bit bulky.

FDDF828D-1EC0-43E0-838A-D650F2C4D4B3.jpeg

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Screenshot_20210328-205313_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210328-205313_DuckDuckGo.jpgmaybe this? My 3/8" snap on impact will do over 1000 ft lbs breakaway torque. Bought it, shit I'm old, 13 years ago.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
No problems with lug nuts using a 3/8"? I don't suppose our wheels are really torqued on that much, but I typically use a 1/2" out of habit. That M12 Stubby looks hot though and I could really use something like that in my life.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
No problems with lug nuts using a 3/8"? I don't suppose our wheels are really torqued on that much, but I typically use a 1/2" out of habit. That M12 Stubby looks hot though and I could really use something like that in my life.
They pack a punch! That 3/8 right angle impact in the pic I posted above will take off lugs no problem. Provided they weren't driven in with an air impact at discount tire lol

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
They pack a punch! That 3/8 right angle impact in the pic I posted above will take off lugs no problem. Provided they weren't driven in with an air impact at discount tire lol

I'm living in the stone age. Outside of drills, nothing I have for working on cars for the past 20 years is electric...I think it's time to get that M12 impact and the ratchet.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
The Garage Journal forum is a dangerous rabbit-hole to go down if you're interested in tools... With that said, I've been very pleased with our Ryobi tools for home use. However, I bought into the 20v Dewalt ecosystem for the heavier-duty stuff (hammer drill, impact driver, etc) and have no complaints. Milwaukee seems to hold up well as well, Dewalt vs Milwaukee seems hard to go wrong if you've got the coin for either. I'd definitely not go back to a corded tool though, cordless has me spoiled.

The DCF887B with a 3/8" adapter has worked alright for me for lugs, be sure to use impact sockets though as traditional chrome tools will fail in a more spectacular fashion than impact-rated tools. Dewalt also makes a 3/8" impact driver, but the 1/4" one with an adapter seems to be more generally useful IMO, at the cost of breaking adapters from time to time. Tekton offers a rather nice set of impact-rated 3/8" sockets with no skips for a good price, or if you go 1/2" the Harbor Freight ones are a good buy.

In any case, don't put bolts ON with the impact, you're liable to damage the threads/bolt. Hand tight with a ratchet then final torque with a torque wrench has yet to do me wrong.