GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap Exhaust??

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
MBRP makes a great catback exhaust with a Helmholtz resonator that virtually eliminates all drone - I don't think you'll find a better value. Tame when it want it to be and screams like a bat outta hell in sport mode and full throttle.

AlbMk7

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Welcome to the
Hey y’all ! Hope y’all doing good, im here looking ( I hope this is the right tread sorry in adcance) for a new exhaust sytmem, or looking what to put on my MK7 GTI. Im currently running a muffler delete and a APR Down pipe/DP, but its just too lowed. So im looking for like somewhat of a cheap exhaust system maby under 400$, or if can like get a nice souding muffler or something idk. im looking something lowtone but whit that growl dont wanna be the lowd 4 cylender on the block lol. Ive been seeing the borla exhaus sytem but thats just to expensive.
Welcome to the forum man. I'll do a Clubsport muffler depending on the model of your car. I've had that on and it's been really amazing with the sound and all.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Hey guys. To confirm, is Rev9 the only CATBACK you can buy basically for under 500? Yet it is not worth it is what I'm hearing? So the next level up would probably be AWE. I am looking at AWE but only because it is the next probably best under a grand. It's crazy. I'm not even talking DP, just the catback so I can get a lil more noise over stock and fatter tips yo. Why the hell are exhaust systems so damn expensive for this car? Uuuugh.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hey guys. To confirm, is Rev9 the only CATBACK you can buy basically for under 500? Yet it is not worth it is what I'm hearing? So the next level up would probably be AWE. I am looking at AWE but only because it is the next probably best under a grand. It's crazy. I'm not even talking DP, just the catback so I can get a lil more noise over stock and fatter tips yo. Why the hell are exhaust systems so damn expensive for this car? Uuuugh.

AWE is considered the best "cheap" option, at $700 - $800.

The Rev9 is $350 for a reason. I had it on my car for all of about 2 hours before taking it off and just selling it locally at a loss.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
AWE is considered the best "cheap" option, at $700 - $800.

The Rev9 is $350 for a reason. I had it on my car for all of about 2 hours before taking it off and just selling it locally at a loss.

I guess I'd like to know from anyone with experience, what exactly makes AWE a "750-800", "cheap" option? That's still quite a lot of clams and I don't want to say I paid 800 for a "cheap" exhaust. I'm eyeing the 750 track edition because it has a bit more grunt considering I'll have stock DP. Still, with taxes and shipping, it'll go over 800 so it isn't cheap by any means...

From the videos I've watched, it sounds pretty good and the exhaust tips are 4inch which is perfect. Is the material going to rust right away? Like what exactly makes it "cheap" as opposed to the 1000+ catbacks which is just absurd for piping, lol.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I guess I'd like to know from anyone with experience, what exactly makes AWE a "750-800", "cheap" option? That's still quite a lot of clams and I don't want to say I paid 800 for a "cheap" exhaust. I'm eyeing the 750 track edition because it has a bit more grunt considering I'll have stock DP. Still, with taxes and shipping, it'll go over 800 so it isn't cheap by any means...

From the videos I've watched, it sounds pretty good and the exhaust tips are 4inch which is perfect. Is the material going to rust right away? Like what exactly makes it "cheap" as opposed to the 1000+ catbacks which is just absurd for piping, lol.

I just mean "cheap" in terms of cost, not quality of performance. If you look at a page like this, $800 is around the minimum cost of entry, with plenty being $1,000+. And then you have the Rev9 which is a fraction of that, for reason.

If you're patient, AWE has sales very frequently, and the Track version can be had for under $700 shipped out.

As for why it's that price, no idea. Both myself and my buddy with an MK7 have the AWE exhaust, and haven't had any issues. I just took mine off the car the other day for state inspection (it's modified and wouldn't pair up with the stock downpipe), and it still looks in fantastic condition, after about 15k miles.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I just mean "cheap" in terms of cost, not quality of performance. If you look at a page like this, $800 is around the minimum cost of entry, with plenty being $1,000+. And then you have the Rev9 which is a fraction of that, for reason.

If you're patient, AWE has sales very frequently, and the Track version can be had for under $700 shipped out.

As for why it's that price, no idea. Both myself and my buddy with an MK7 have the AWE exhaust, and haven't had any issues. I just took mine off the car the other day for state inspection (it's modified and wouldn't pair up with the stock downpipe), and it still looks in fantastic condition, after about 15k miles.
Good to know. I'm patient. Though I really was hoping I could get this done before summer is over, lol.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I bought the AWE track exhaust. With the diamond black tips and tax its closer to $900 but it fit great and sounds good. Stock DP still but no drone and it definitely opens up at higher RPMs and increased throttle. And $900 is definitely the low end in terms of cost. I think CTS is the only other decent system that comes in around the same price point. Most seem to be over $1,000.

I actually had hopes that the AWE would be louder but I'm awfully juvenile at heart.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I bought the AWE track exhaust. With the diamond black tips and tax its closer to $900 but it fit great and sounds good. Stock DP still but no drone and it definitely opens up at higher RPMs and increased throttle. And $900 is definitely the low end in terms of cost. I think CTS is the only other decent system that comes in around the same price point. Most seem to be over $1,000.

I actually had hopes that the AWE would be louder but I'm awfully juvenile at heart.

I was contemplating the black tips since I'm going with a black/white scheme but feel like with the black tips, they'll almost hide within the diffuser. I want them to stand out.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Here is my 2 cents as someone who has tried quite a few of the cheap options out there (muffler delete, res changes/deletes, rev9 system, etc).

I started with a $99 ebay downpipe welded into a 1 piece to prevent leaking, paired with the stock catback. Sounded way better than stock, but still quiet and respectful. Ran this way for over a year without issue, however it always did sound a bit unrefined and dirty. I removed the stock resonator and threw in a vibrant, this cleaned up the sound and made it feel much more refined. It also added a bit of bass and volume, but it mainly cleaned up the sound. Ran this way for quite a while. Eventually I wanted it to be louder when I went Stage 2, so I got the Rev9 catback. This system droned worse than ANYTHING I have ever heard. The booming bass from 2.3-3.5k rpm was enough to deafen the driver and the entire cabin would turn into a resonant chamber of bass. It would go through my head and give me a headache after an hour of driving. I threw in a vibrant res, but it did absolutely nothing to help. I sold this system for more than I bought it for, so I came out ahead. Finally I decided to spring for a "brand name" system. I got a Borla S Type catback from amazon, albeit with the 2.5 inch piping. I installed this and the sound was atrocious. I was embarrased to drive down the street. The car sounded like a broken tractor with a long echoey exhaust system. I parked the car and didnt drive it till I figured out the next step. I ordered another vibrant res and threw it in, and it made the sound perfect. There is no drone whatsoever, the volume is there when you want it, but under normal driving it almost sounds stock just a bit more sporty. I have driven hundreds of miles at 80+ without any issue, whereas the Rev9 would drone something awful at any speed above 70 unless you kept the RPMs above 4k.

This is how my system currently looks: $99 ebay downpipe, vibrant res, borla s type catback. I am contemplating getting the borla pro XS muffler and swapping it into the system where the stock borla muffler is. If the volume would come down just a bit I would not complain.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
the Rev9 would drone something awful at any speed
I know that feels.

But adding in a borla xs muffler in the empty spot on the driver's side fixed that up pretty well. I only wish I'd done that before the vibrant res, which as you noted, does pretty much nothing.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Hah, I'm not looking for all kinds of pieces to swap in and out. Like my tune, I just want to set it and forget it. I'm hoping to get the right one from the get go. If AWE sounds good enough and won't give me headaches, I think I'll just go with that paired to the stock dp. As of this time, with emissions a PITA in Jersey, I have no desire to get an A/M dp.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Hah, I'm not looking for all kinds of pieces to swap in and out. Like my tune, I just want to set it and forget it. I'm hoping to get the right one from the get go. If AWE sounds good enough and won't give me headaches, I think I'll just go with that paired to the stock dp. As of this time, with emissions a PITA in Jersey, I have no desire to get an A/M dp.
If keeping both cats, no need for a resonator. Go with the awe track

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Somebody posted this Rawtek system before:

https://www.rawtekinc.com/collectio...w-gti-mk7-2-0l-turbo-2015?variant=38174634830

$719 with a muffler and big resonator. Also can get it without the resonator and/or muffler for less $. Looks like a quality set-up.

Magnaflow isn't a bad option for around the same price, but it would cost extra to add a resonator.
The ECS non-valved catback sounds good too and is only $500, but Diggs might put banannas in your tailpipes.