GOLFMKV

Cheap Brake Upgrade

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!

anyone tried this on their GTI non-PP?
I wonder how effective this is.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
so it's cheap and effective on non-PP GTI?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
so it's cheap and effective on non-PP GTI?
From what I gather from the other threads is that it is a useful upgrade if you track your car. I'm not sure it would make as much of a difference for street driving.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
What problem are you trying to solve?

Brake ducts are only useful if your brakes are overheating, which should only occur on the track.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Somewhere the is a youtube video of a guy who installs the cooling duct on one side, and not the other, then drives around taking temp readings. IIRC, the side with the cooling duct was running ~50* F cooler.

Considering how cheap and easy these are too install, IDK what the downside would be.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Brake pads are designed to operate in a wide temperature band (ex: Hawk HPS 100-700 deg F). Assuming street use, unless the operating temperature is near the upper threshold, changing the temperature by 50 deg does nothing beneficial. In a track environment, then the cooling provided by the ducts can help mitigate brake fade.

Last edited:

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I have a non-PP GTI that I track fairly regularly in the summer, and daily drive. I installed the RS3 brake ducts last year, have upgraded pads, rotors, and fluid. The cooling ducts made the difference between massive overheating and pad deposits, to brakes that I could beat on all day long without any fade (using the exact same equipment). Without - my peak track temps would reach over 1170f at the rotor, with - they didn't pass 1020f (this is with thermographic paint). Probably the single best upgrade I've made on the car for track use. Especially for the money.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I don't track my car.....

Howver I do 2hr (no stopping) fast drives on very twisty/hills back roads.....which puts LOADS of strain on the brakes...…& the cooling ducts help..