GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cheap alternative - gt3 ducts

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion
Good job on the diy, and always good to have another option I suppose.
But why not rs3 ducts? Less trimming needed if any (depending on who you ask) and seems like it would channel more air to the brakes than this would.

Attachments

• D60B2199-9CF8-48BF-8ECF-ACB8FE570DB8.jpeg
    D60B2199-9CF8-48BF-8ECF-ACB8FE570DB8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 272

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Mainly, because they're $8 a set and I think these actually direct more air. They're larger and extend lower.

& they create more aero drag as they hang below the wishbone & thus increase the visible cross sectional area when you view the car from the front.....the RS3 & older TT ones are above the wishbone (do not increase the frontal cross sectional area) & direct the air which already flows above the wishbone (from the duct under the front bumpers) & steers it into the brakes at the hub so it hits the central air flow to get sucked into the disc vanes...which those GT3 ones do not...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
That's like, you're opinion, man.

Nope not my opinion, just actual facts of the GT3 air ducts vs the RS3 air ducts & how they work & their side affects...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I guarantee the way I have them mounted, they're directing more air to the same location as the RS3 deflectors.

Nope....

That picture you have posted of your GT3 duct the air is directed to the bottom section of the disc between the ball joint & the calliper...thus only cooling the back side of the rotating disc

The RS3 duct which is made for the MQB platform directs the air up into the area between the hub & the calliper where there is gap in the splash shield...thus the air is now in the area where the internal vanes of the discs are exposed to next to the hub ..therefore the air can get through the whole vane & cool the whole disc from the inside out.

Why do think VAG designed it (RS3 version) this way for the MQB platform?? The GT3 one you are using in a way it was not 100% designed for therefore you are not getting the maximum benefit from it...besides adding more aero drag...

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I would likely nail a cone on the bad side and shatter it :D

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I have them aimed to the same area. I specifically trimmed, placed and secured them to point to the area between the hub and calliper, I also don't have dust shields.

Please post your wind tunnel and brake temp results for both ducts. I eagerly await your reply.

If you don't have them, then please don't reply restating your OPINION, again, that's pointless.

Actually, somebody on here did the brake temp results with RS3 ducts and it showed it did cool the brakes down faster. Pretty much everybody knows the RS3 ducts work and it's an easy upgrade since it's within the MQB platform. Nobody has tried using the GT3 ducts because it's not within the MQB platform. You don't have to get all butt hurt when somebody doesn't agree with you or is giving you some knowledgeable advice or feedback.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
a mod doesn't have to be superior or optimal to be an improvement.
op, thanks for posting (y)

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I don't see where they installed them and did back to back testing with the RS3 deflectors. Am I missing it? Do you know the post number? I didn't see it.
It's not a direct comparison.

Where's your data the the GT3 ducts are better?

You don't have it either.

Everyone needs to chill.

I run the RS3 ducts, fwiw.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I have the RS3 ducts. But then I ran 2" ducts from the front bumper and attached them to the RS3 ducts so they're actually getting more air/velocity. I really want to fab something using these, but I don't know if there's room with the axle and larger Macan calipers now.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all42117

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
That's a good idea. Did you get rid of the fog lights to feed the ducts that go to the defectors? With that setup, the RS3 would definitely be better.

Nope, they run inboard of that, to the deflector plates that bring air into the intercooler/radiator/ac condenser. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have them aimed to the same area. I specifically trimmed, placed and secured them to point to the area between the hub and calliper, I also don't have dust shields.

Please post your wind tunnel and brake temp results for both ducts. I eagerly await your reply.

If you don't have them, then please don't reply restating your OPINION, again, that's pointless.

In return I respectfully ask you to provide wind tunnel & temp back to back tests from you proving that your GT3 ducts provide more air than the RS3 ones.

Some basic observational facts:-

1. Those GT3 ducts are not made for the car, suspension/situation therefore they are not ideal - vs - RS3 which are made for that platform/ suspension type & position & therefore are ideal.

2. Those GT3 ducts hang below the wishbone & will create more aero drag - vs - the RS3 one which do not hang below the wishbone & will not create more drag (Audi TT ones do hang below & the drag caused by them is noticeable compared to the RS3 ones as I swapped from one to the other & noticed the effect when freewheeling down a gradient near me to test it out).

3. Someone has done temp testing with & without the RS3 ducts on the MQB platform ..noticed a 12% drop in temp of the pads & 24% drop in temp of the disc with them fitted...linky here:-

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-the-audi-rs3-2017.353411/page-3#post-7162395

original here:-
https://www.drive2.com/l/509309455100281914/