GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chasing Cylinder 2 Misfire at WOT (Stage 1) 91 Octane Tune (93 octane gas)

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Car: 2016 GTI SE PP DSG (42k miles) [Photo is of removed plugs]
Mods:

034 Intake,
034 Inlet
ECS Upgraded PCV (cause i broke the stock one putting in the inlet)
RS7 Plugs (0.24 gap)
EQT Stage 1 OTS (91 octane)
EQT DSG Tune

Datazap of issue
https://datazap.me/u/greggles/cylinder-2-misfire?log=0&data=6-12

Comments from tuners: AFR is richer then it should be (points to injector).

I run 93 octane in the car with the 91 octane tune (just to try to eliminate bad gas and to give a larger safety margin)

Chasing a Misfire on Cylinder 2 under load. (P0302, P130A) I pulled the plugs, and bore scoped cylinder 2, and its dry, with no fuel on the plugs (see photo, 1,2,3,4 is plug numbers). Moved coils around. No change. Put new spark plugs in (RS7, 0.24 gap) no change. Flashed to Stage 0 v2.01, no issues stock map.

Removed plugs were dry. Borescope showed nothing abnormal in the cylinders.

Attachments

• plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Ignore the question, it looks like I had the same revision spare coils because I'm a dumb dumb.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks! Chasing a cylinder 2 misfire, so hoping it was just the coil, as the plugs didn't look odd.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Ya I swapped the coil with a known good one I had laying about. Will see after I give it a bunch of miles to relearn before giving it the goose. (also did a battery swap). Dumping some techron in the tank as well, try to cover all the bases. Hoping it was the coil and not the injector!

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Just an update to this, it appears most likely that cylinder 2's injector is not behaving.

cnamk7

I've been chasing the same issue with cyl 3. New plugs, 4 injectors, and swapped coils. Misfire still exists. Worse once the car warms up. Never or extremely rare when driving.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've been chasing the same issue with cyl 3. New plugs, 4 injectors, and swapped coils. Misfire still exists. Worse once the car warms up. Never or extremely rare when driving.

How many miles?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I'll paste the full diagnostic here with the maps.

Car: 2016 GTI SE PP DSG (42k miles)
Mods:

034 Intake,
034 Inlet
ECS Upgraded PCV (cause i broke the stock one putting in the inlet)
RS7 Plugs (0.24 gap)
EQT Stage 1 OTS (91 octane)
EQT DSG Tune

Datazap of issue
https://datazap.me/u/greggles/cylinder-2-misfire?log=0&data=6-12

Comments from tuners: AFR is richer then it should be (points to injector).

I run 93 octane in the car with the 91 octane tune (just to try to eliminate bad gas and to give a larger safety margin)

Chasing a Misfire on Cylinder 2 under load. (P0302, P130A) I pulled the plugs, and bore scoped cylinder 2, and its dry, with no fuel on the plugs (see photo, 1,2,3,4 is plug numbers). Moved coils around. No change. Put new spark plugs in (RS7, 0.24 gap) no change. Flashed to Stage 0 v2.01, no issues stock map.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Update: Reverted to Stock inlet, Intake. Replaced the PCV, and put on the latest PCV breather hose (latest revision). There was definitely an issue with the ECS upgraded PCV hose. The ECS o-ring wasn't sitting flush with the previous PCV. The newer PCV (it seemed like the same part #, but the o-ring recession was deeper possibly for the new revision breather hose) had a much more snug fit between the breather hose and pcv.

Almost had it. Had two glorious runs without any issue. Decided to try one more run, and got the cylinder 2 misfire again. Ed and the EQT team have been great giving me feedback on things to look for and try.

Tried to borescope the valves, but I can't quite get to them from the top sensor, so I'd have to fish it under via the throttle body to get a decent look. If it turns out to be carbon buildup, I might have a throttle body spacer put in with a vaccum port to spray valve cleaner in every oil change, that would be a good spot to distribute it across the valves.

Seafoam goes in the tank on tuesday to help rule out a clogging injector. (Didn't want to mix two cleaners, so this past tank was 20 ounces of chevron cleaner).

Mgmannin

Greggles,

I am having the same issue with a 2017 1.8tsi golf with IS20, Intake, APR coils, downpipe & APR 93 octane tune. Did the fuel treatment fix the issue?

charleschung19950904

Passed Driver's Ed
What happened to me a while ago was an actual dead cylinder caused by a clogged injector. It showed cylinder 3 misfiring, but really, the injector was so clogged that the whole cylinder just shut down. So I was running on 3 cylinders for a while.

Had the intake manifold taking out and all that to reach the injector, restored and cleaned it, etc. Gain back full power again after that.

It happened to be at 35,000 km.

Stage 2 mk7 gti

P.S. I run 94 octane chevron all the time.

Madian49

Car(s)
Vw gti mk7
What happened to me a while ago was an actual dead cylinder caused by a clogged injector. It showed cylinder 3 misfiring, but really, the injector was so clogged that the whole cylinder just shut down. So I was running on 3 cylinders for a while.

Had the intake manifold taking out and all that to reach the injector, restored and cleaned it, etc. Gain back full power again after that.

It happened to be at 35,000 km.

Stage 2 mk7 gti

P.S. I run 94 octane chevron all the time.
Thanks for that man I have my injector coming in crossing my fingers that it solves the issues I’m running a hybrid is38 and all fuel support and stay getting misfire on 3 and 4 on full throttle

joshgreensauce

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks for that man I have my injector coming in crossing my fingers that it solves the issues I’m running a hybrid is38 and all fuel support and stay getting misfire on 3 and 4 on full throttle
Any luck? I'm getting this issue on cyl 1, had all 4 injectors replaced only 7XXX miles ago but i'm worried it somehow clogged again already. Worth trying sea foam or something?