GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chasing creaks and squeaks

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Been going through the list of common rattles/squeaks/creaks that I could find via the search function.

I've started with the doors and greased it throughly with the Shin Etsu grease, worked pretty well on the door seals but not so much for the sunroof. I'm going to attempt to fix that with some felt as like others have tried. Recently did the rear seat strikers with felt and fixed that, no rattles yet...from the arm rest, so going to leave that alone.

Right now, I am getting some creaking around the overhead console/rain sensor area. I can't seem to find any posts about that, wanted to know if anyone has some experiences with that. It's definitely plastic rattling/creaking of some sort but it doesn't make a difference if I push or hold onto the sunglasses holder/rain sensor plastics. It's not driving me crazy but I would like to chase it down, just started recently and it's not really weather dependent. Been about 50s 60s here.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the overhead console, been using a db meter to pinpoint the noise. So has any one run into this one yet?

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
So I had some creaking that started when the temps dropped. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger windshield around the top. I took every part off of the car that I possibly could and still had the noise.

I ended up spraying WD40 dry in between the windshield and the rubber weather stripping. So far it seems to have worked, maybe give that a try?