GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing wheels, any implications?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
hi mate. Would this have an effect on the premium e.g price increase??

I looked into this and to be honest, as far as they know the wheels came with the car when I bought it and 17 inchers which you find as standard on most cars nowadays aren’t really considered a mod. One of my pals had a MK6 and put the GTD wheels on them, and after a huge accident they wasn’t concerned about the wheels probably because they were OEM and assumed that it came with vehicle as standard. Or are Insurance Companies really that clued up to know which exact models should come with which exact wheel? Let me know!

Answered by the other people above...

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
But the real question is, how did performance differ based on wheel size? Which one felt better in a straight? I think we can agree the larger wheels felt better in turns... Anything else you notice or recommend for the sweet spot?
The 19s were vw Pretoria’s they felt good but tyres noise were a bit intrusive. 18s and 17s feel the same roughly apart from on the most crappy roads and bumping up kerbs the 17s were better.The most quiet and comfort and handling I had tho was genuine 18inch Pretoria’s on Dunlop sport max r2s. The 16s are great for pure comfort quiet but a bit leaning around corners

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
idk about UK wtty but in US only dick dealers will care. Look up tire size calculator and input numbers. There may be a small difference which will affect speedometer and odometer. That should be programmable through VCDS or OBD11. On another car there was a 3% change which I ignored.

+1 on what Jim said about balance and alignment.

enjoy

Mud