GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing steering wheel for one with shift paddles on a 7.5 1.4 TSI

FFF

Car(s)
VW Golf 7.5 1.0 TSI
Hey Guys, I am very new to this forum but read alot already. I am curious to see if the steering wheel can be changed easily without (or maybe with) professional help. I have a 7.5 1.4 TSI and my multifunction steering wheel didn`t come with shift paddles. I would really like to have those because 1. they are just awesome to use 2. I am often driving in mountainside roads which aqure me to shift properly (not only for getting up and down safely but also for the fun part of driving there.
I looked up many sites but none really seem to fit my question. I read that the paddles should work if I just get a new steering wheel from ebay and mount it because for example the Variant or "better" versions have them too and the cables/electronics are pretty much the same.

Has anybody here done that or could tell me if that idea works out? I am not sure if I would like to change it myself because of the airbag and the fact that I have never really worked on cars before.

Thank you in advance and keep up the nice work!

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
From what I've read online, the steering wheel module already contains pin outs for the paddle shifters on all MK7 trims.

Therefore, fitting a new steering wheel with paddles should work out of the box.

FFF

Car(s)
VW Golf 7.5 1.0 TSI
Thanks for your answer @Fraysa
Thats what I read too, probably I am going to speak to one ore two mechanics after the lockdown and then do it with them if it is really work out.

Will keep you updated when I am ready :)

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I think if you post your steering wheel module P/N people here will be able to tell if you if it supports it or not.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
You need a suitable scanner for this. Either OBDEleven or VCDS. If you don't have access to these, try to find someone who does.