GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing back to the Golf R's from the Type R

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Arizona is not just one big barren desert loaded with saguaro cacti. You might be surprised at the diversity of weather here in different parts of the state.

Thanks for stating this. Flagstaff has topped the list for the most snowfall in the US several times with a yearly average around 100 inches. My wife and I visit Flag several times a year which is part of the reason we got the 4 motion in her Tiguan. We love it up there, though it is funny that the hottest state on average also can be one with the most snow.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I LOVE Flag, except for the altitude - 7000 ft is ok for me to visit, but I couldn't live full time up there. We're at 4920 here in the southeastern corner of the state and that's high enough for me. 15-20 degrees cooler than Phoenix, much more annual rainfall, 2-3 decent snowfalls every winter, and a fantastic summer monsoon that's far more active than what Phoenix sees. Love it down here.

F1 tech

I was down to a Golf R and a Sonic Gray Type R last September. I was negotiating on both cars. Ultimately, what got me sold on the Golf R was the DSG (wife can drive), a more practical daily driver, and ease of tuning. I was a Honda guy for many years, 2 Integras, 2 S2000s, MDX, Pilot, CRV, Accord V-6.

Sometimes I do think, what if....

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I LOVE Flag, except for the altitude - 7000 ft is ok for me to visit, but I couldn't live full time up there. We're at 4920 here in the southeastern corner of the state and that's high enough for me. 15-20 degrees cooler than Phoenix, much more annual rainfall, 2-3 decent snowfalls every winter, and a fantastic summer monsoon that's far more active than what Phoenix sees. Love it down here.

I lived in Sierra Vista for 6 years, so I know exactly what you are referring to.

I will say, though, it's more fun to own the R here in Phoenix. You can drive like an absolute idiot anywhere you go and get away with it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I lived in Sierra Vista for 6 years, so I know exactly what you are referring to.

I will say, though, it's more fun to own the R here in Phoenix. You can drive like an absolute idiot anywhere you go and get away with it.

Not always. Don't ask how I know. 😢

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, C63S AMG
There's a banked turn near me that inclines towards the outside of the turn. When I took it with my GTI I got severe understeer with wheelspin. With the R at the same speed it just goes. One time I carefully increased my speed and it did indeed understeer. You can't overcome the laws of physics no matter how hard you try.

I thought the GTI had a LSD. So handling wise, you prefer the R over the GTI (I assume Mk7)? But the GTI is like 200 lbs lighter. So that wasn't much of a factor?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Thanks for stating this. Flagstaff has topped the list for the most snowfall in the US several times with a yearly average around 100 inches. My wife and I visit Flag several times a year which is part of the reason we got the 4 motion in her Tiguan. We love it up there, though it is funny that the hottest state on average also can be one with the most snow.

Wait what? 100inches is the most snowfall in what category?

100in of snow is not very much. especially when you look at ski towns.