GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing back to the Golf R's from the Type R

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
If you drive on a track at all, there's pros and cons to every setup, whether it's fwd, rwd or awd. How you drive is what matters in the end.

With that said. My opinion is that I had a stg2 gti previously and the R is superior essentially in every aspect.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Much more. The stock manual clutch can barely hold oem power levels.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
After having a '17 manual Golf R then a '18 DSG Golf R, I traded and went with a '19 Type R. After only putting 4700 miles on it during the year I had it I decided I really missed something about the Golf R so the Type R is gone and
I should pick up a '19 DSG Lapiz Blue Metallic Golf R Friday or Saturday. The Type R is a great ride no doubt and don't really have any complaints about it but, decided I was just happier with the Golf R's :)

While I won't speak for you, as much as the Type R embodies excellent FWD engineering, and from what I'm told, is a joy to wring out, I would be be missing my old R as well. There's something about its effortless unflappability that's just so satisfying. No, it won't quite do ten-tenths like the Type R, but at anything less than that, it's almost as if the car says to you "just relax, I can handle this" and keeps its promise. The R is a car that can go to the big-box store in the morning, stick a grin on your face on a back road in the afternoon, then take you, your wife, and a couple of friends out to dinner in the evening--perfectly. The fact that it doesn't scream "hey look at me" and without making any sort of a scene and just goes about doing what most cars can't even approach is frosting on the cake. If I was 20 something, I'd be loving a Type R as much as tossing back shots of tequila. Now that I'm a wee bit more mature, I appreciate the R like sipping on a good glass of single malt whiskey. Ultimately, your head will be spinning either way, but the overall experience is tangibly different.

Last edited:

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
The R is beats the Type R at everything except for a few tenths at the race track. That's it. They're around the same price, have most of the same tech, and the aftermarket for both cars is pretty amazing. The R just steps it up quite a few notches with better infotainment & more refinements throughout the entire vehicle, namely in the interior space, an excellent AWD system, and just flat out better looks.

Unless you are taking the Type R to the track, there is no reason to buy one. And most track junkies will tell you that even the Type R isn't a "real" track car. It's a production car that's decent around a racetrack but will still need upgrades if you want it to be a real circuit burner. People who compete have dedicated track cars that are heavily modified and aren't afraid to break them. No one wants to spend 40k just to rip off a bumper or bust some suspension components during an event. Also, there's always the risk of actually crashing your car or hitting someone around a turn.

The Type R is aimed at Honda fanboys that have been waiting on a turbo charger from the factory or someone who wants a car that does decently well at auto x events. Most people just drive them on the street 99.9% of the time which kinda doesn't make sense if you ask me. The Type R has been a mystery to me since it debuted. Not quite a real track car, but too ugly for the streets. Not sure why the are so loved. At least we can drive our Golf Rs in the snow ;)

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Saw a Type R today at a local VW meet. It had a body kit, I think coz the edges almost cut me just looking at it.

It reminded me of someone who couldn’t afford the Lykan Hypersport from F&F, so he/she made their own. Modern day Ferrari Fiero?

Here’s a screenshot of my pano pic:
97BCB894-7155-4C1B-A09C-D8B924058C64.png

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The Type R is aimed at Honda fanboys that have been waiting on a turbo charger from the factory or someone who wants a car that does decently well at auto x events. Most people just drive them on the street 99.9% of the time which kinda doesn't make sense if you ask me. The Type R has been a mystery to me since it debuted. Not quite a real track car, but too ugly for the streets. Not sure why the are so loved. At least we can drive our Golf Rs in the snow ;)
And AFB lives in Arizona!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There's a banked turn near me that inclines towards the outside of the turn. When I took it with my GTI I got severe understeer with wheelspin. With the R at the same speed it just goes. One time I carefully increased my speed and it did indeed understeer. You can't overcome the laws of physics no matter how hard you try.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There's a banked turn near me that inclines towards the outside of the turn. When I took it with my GTI I got severe understeer with wheelspin. With the R at the same speed it just goes. One time I carefully increased my speed and it did indeed understeer. You can't overcome the laws of physics no matter how hard you try.

Get a rear sway bar.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

It helps if you have a true active AWD system. Eliminates the tendency to understeer in the scenario you are describing. As stated before the AWD system in the R is excellent, but not as good as the always active systems with better torque distribution.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Arizona is not just one big barren desert loaded with saguaro cacti. You might be surprised at the diversity of weather here in different parts of the state.

I wish it was that way right now. 😂