GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Change oil filter only at halfway point?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Would there be any benefit to swapping in a fresh oil filter halfway between oil change intervals? It’s easy and inexpensive…

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Would there be any benefit to swapping in a fresh oil filter halfway between oil change intervals? It’s easy and inexpensive…
No.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
google it. many threads around the web on this, along with 'change oil, not filter'

most folks here are enthusiasts. some go well beyond change oil and filter: engine flush, additives, etc. skipping a step is not their first thought.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
google it. many threads around the web on this, along with 'change oil, not filter'

most folks here are enthusiasts. some go well beyond change oil and filter: engine flush, additives, etc. skipping a step is not their first thought.
I didn't ask about skipping a step. I asked about adding a step -- an additional filter change halfway between oil changes.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Also of interest to this convo - Fram Ultra filters with a synthetic media have been shown to be effective to 20K miles so for some cars, you would leave this in for several changes. I know folks freak out about oil change stuff with most of the concerns/habits not based on any data/old habits but I'd trust it with no issue in daily drive vehicles in normal conditions like my teenage sons' vehicles etc.

On topic here, at some point you get to the convo of "Well if I change my filter ever 2.5K and oil every 5K why not change the oil every 2.5K" and so it goes to what end? Modern syn oils and OE filters are more than adequate for the manufacturer's recommended change intervals if used in "normal" conditions.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yeah I think it’s already been answered pretty unanimously there’s no benefit to changing the filter more often. Just thought I’d ask since it’s cheap and easy,