GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Change instrument cluster

gianry

Ready to race!
Hi,I 've a Golf with MFA in B/N and I'd like to fit the cluster with color display.
Is it possible ? is it component protected ? where the kilometers are saved ?

thanks

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I haven't seen anyone upgrade from the black/white cluster to the color. But yes there is component protection. Also requires immobilizer to be coded, otherwise engine won't start. If the cluster is new (under 100km) the dealer can set the new cluster to match the kilometers on your car. If cluster is used (over 100km) you cannot change the kilometers. If you install a cluster that is not stock you may have to do some coding by yourself.

You also have the option of installing the AID (digital cluster) if you're going to upgrade. There are threads here and elsewhere about it. Only potential problem is the trim for the digital cluster only comes in gloss black and polar night, not sure what color trim is in your vehicle.

gianry

Ready to race!
why digital cluster could be fitted and analog not ? I've piano black trim in my vehicle
I cannot fit the AID as my car has natural gas engine

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I didn't mean to say you couldn't change from one analog to another, only that I haven't seen anyone post about it. Process should be basically the same analog or digital replacement.