GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cerma engine treatment + turbo treatment - Does it actually work?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I wonder how long before Jay locks this thread.
I personally don't see any reason to lock this. You can disagree without being an Ahole and thats what is mostly seen here.

As far as this product being a miracle worker, Jim doesn't make that claim at all. Seems like he buys this product for quieting down engine noise alone, and if it does other stuff then its just a bonus.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Very true. But i've also found quality motor oils alone can quiet the engine down. Even changing weights can. So much to play with regarding this that it is hard to tell just how beneficial an additive is versus a quality oil. I'm no liquid engineer so I can't pretend to be an expert, but I have been able to get good results and performance from quality lubricants (somewhat quantified by oil analysis).

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I personally don't see any reason to lock this. You can disagree without being an Ahole and thats what is mostly seen here.

As far as this product being a miracle worker, Jim doesn't make that claim at all. Seems like he buys this product for quieting down engine noise alone, and if it does other stuff then its just a bonus.

There is nothing wrong with suggesting it can quiet down an engine; but you need more than variable web videos to measure this. You take one recording properly, change the oil, take an identical recording properly, and then you add the mixture; again recording it properly, in an identical manner, with the same equipment in the same environment. Then you can determine if it's quieted anything down. Human ears cannot be trusted, here. The frequency of service is too low, even if you do it all in one day.

So, it's possible that it can quiet an engine down a bit; many, many products do. This is no mystery. It cannot, however, do this in the manner the marketing suggests. What it can do is function as a solvent/detergent, or cause an emulsion to be created which alters the viscosity at shear points. It can also function as a simple viscosity modifier. The marketing claims are bogus. You can pay less than ten dollars for an identical effect at any parts store chain in the nation; an effect of questionable utility and temporary existence at best.

If you want to shut an engine up, you're better off buying a couple of gallons of Rotella to last you a few years. That's proven around the world, every day, and has been for many years; and it's not full of ceramics of any kind, which are by their very nature incredibly abrasive. You don't improve lubrication by pouring this nonsense into a reciprocating or rotating assembly. If it were to function as they advertise (it does not because it cannot) you'd just be wearing everything, instead of sacrificing one part in favor of another.

One uses this technology on vice threads, not on piston rings. If that's to be done, it must be bolstered and chemically bonded. Period.

The suggestion that this is possible in any other manner mankind can muster is, quite simply, fantasy. It belongs in a game of Dungeons and Dragons; not in your engine. That was and is the claim, and that is impossible.