GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CERAMIC COATING for my car.

Total1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI Autobahn 6MT
I got my car ceramic coated in 2014 when I bought the car. The cost was $600. The coating is starting to wear off now and that's 5 years of not needing any wax or polishing. I just hand wash and apply car pro reload after clay bar the car. I think it's worth it for me. I'm thinking of doing it again but also entertaining the thought of wrapping my whole car with a different color.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
ummm, not unless you polish the car first, and the sealant won’t last anywhere NEAR as long. I’ve been detailing for 15 years and I can tell you that wash induced marring will be much greater than any decent coating. You sound very ignorant and should just read up on this before commenting.
i mean you did just spend 900 so you gotta make yourself feel better :LOL:

My car will look and feel just like yours after a sealant job....My mequiars sealant bottle cost $15

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Having been cleaning & polishing my cars for 25yrs...the £700ish I paid 5yrs ago for Gtechniq Crystal Black Serum was well worth it.....3 days work...but I've never had to polish the car since...clean with appropriate stuff/mitts etc & yes a full clean inside & out will take 1 day to 2 days max...but the car is shinier & has zero scratches & repels water.....doing it the old way with polish to the same level of shine would take twice as long....

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Do all this work, and then risk the finish with only a sealant? Some are ok with that. I’d rather spend the 60-100.00 on a top notch coating

Attachments

• 1AA922FE-DC4E-45B6-ABAD-733E40F8E219.jpeg
    1AA922FE-DC4E-45B6-ABAD-733E40F8E219.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 135

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
ummm, not unless you polish the car first, and the sealant won’t last anywhere NEAR as long. I’ve been detailing for 15 years and I can tell you that wash induced marring will be much greater than any decent coating. You sound very ignorant and should just read up on this before commenting.
A properly detailed car(wash, clay, wash and dry, polish, protective coating) with sealant or wax will be as shiny and smooth as any ceramic job to a normal person. Im not convinced ceramic can last as long as companies claim unless you treat it with the proper soap, wash materials and some kind of reload. At this point, a busy person would not want to deal with it because of the time and money you have to invest in it afterwards. A lot of local detailers guarantees ceramic to last the life of the vehicle ONLY if you let them maintain it regularly and that comes with additional cost and time. That is why i think ceramic is a scam. I'll stick to sealant once a year.

I had 01 integra (era where honda was known to use cheap paint) that i put sealant on it once or twice in 2 years and the paint looked fantastic at year 16 when i sold it. The car sat outside for the first 13 years of it's life.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
A properly detailed car(wash, clay, wash and dry, polish, protective coating) with sealant or wax will be as shiny and smooth as any ceramic job to a normal person. Im not convinced ceramic can last as long as companies claim unless you treat it with the proper soap, wash materials and some kind of reload. At this point, a busy person would not want to deal with it because of the time and money you have to invest in it afterwards. A lot of local detailers guarantees ceramic to last the life of the vehicle ONLY if you let them maintain it regularly and that comes with additional cost and time. That is why i think ceramic is a scam. I'll stick to sealant once a year.

I had 01 integra (era where honda was known to use cheap paint) that i put sealant on it once or twice in 2 years and the paint looked fantastic at year 16 when i sold it. The car sat outside for the first 13 years of it's life.
I never made the claim of gloss, better looking, etc. I said that they do indeed protect the paint better, and they do indeed last longer than any conventional sealant. I’m also not sure what sealant you are using that lasts for an entire year, but please do share.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I never made the claim of gloss, better looking, etc. I said that they do indeed protect the paint better, and they do indeed last longer than any conventional sealant. I’m also not sure what sealant you are using that lasts for an entire year, but please do share.
Powerlock+ will last a long time but not a year. Before i used power lock i'd use just 845 and that would last half a year about if not more with the michigan winters. Now i use powerlock+ topped with 845 to get a deeper gloss and if i feel like it bead maker for a drying aid

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Powerlock+ will last a long time but not a year. Before i used power lock i'd use just 845 and that would last half a year about if not more with the michigan winters. Now i use powerlock+ topped with 845 to get a deeper gloss and if i feel like it bead maker for a drying aid

I used powerlock many times, and 845, they are both very good products, certainly not a year long application though.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I used powerlock many times, and 845, they are both very good products, certainly not a year long application though.
It very much is a year long application. 845 alone lasted quite awhile. If you don't keep up with it yeah it wont last but nothing will last if you don't keep up with it

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
Mequiars m21. I did not say my sealant will last a year, I just said I do it once a year. It's been 1.5 years since i last did sealant protection on my paint and i can tell it's just about time for another one. My car is garaged, driven 5-7k miles a year and lives in california so it's possible it can last this long given my situation.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
i mean you did just spend 900 so you gotta make yourself feel better :LOL:

My car will look and feel just like yours after a sealant job....My mequiars sealant bottle cost $15

Sorry but no it wont. Like others have said, you're pretty ignorant on the topic. If you think just some wax and a sealant will look and feel just as good as ceramic coat, I've got some fresh canned air to sell you for $10 bucks a can.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
It very much is a year long application. 845 alone lasted quite awhile. If you don't keep up with it yeah it wont last but nothing will last if you don't keep up with it
Ok, that’s what got the conversation started though. Claims of coatings not holding up unless they are maintained.... and I have used 845, and it does not last 1 year.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
To expand on this topic... 845 came about because it was used to insulate electric wiring and keep water out. It’s a very nice product.
From auto geek.com
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax, for example, is one of the finest liquid carnauba waxes you can buy. It has the shine and wetness of carnauba but its longevity is more like a paint sealant. You can expect up to 5 months of protection and incredible water-beading, even on non-garaged vehicles.”
Here are the results from a long term test that was done on a detail forum.
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/s...sting-Ult-Wax-NXT-2-0-and-Collinite-845/page3

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Ok, that’s what got the conversation started though. Claims of coatings not holding up unless they are maintained.... and I have used 845, and it does not last 1 year.
I never said 845 would last a whole year on it's own. It last nearly a year as in 8ish months. With it layered onto of powerlock it in all last up to or even over a year depending on what you do and how you do it