GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CERAMIC COATING for my car.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Do they have a sterile environment? I would not do it myself, but very interested. At least for the front wheels!

If you want a mirror finish, paint correction is critical. Make sure you keep your clear coat if you DYI, I have seen the old VR6 R32s where people over polished.

they must’ve REALLY over polished for that to happen

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Do they have a sterile environment? I would not do it myself, but very interested. At least for the front wheels!

If you want a mirror finish, paint correction is critical. Make sure you keep your clear coat if you DYI, I have seen the old VR6 R32s where people over polished.

It needs to be done in a closed environment that is clean because ceramic coating is heat treated overnight.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
It needs to be done in a closed environment that is clean because ceramic coating is heat treated overnight.
Times vary depending on the product used but It doesn’t need to be ‘heat treated’, it does however need the allotted time to cure, heating the area the car is in would just expedite the process somewhat!.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Times vary depending on the product used but It doesn’t need to be ‘heat treated’, it does however need the allotted time to cure, heating the area the car is in would just expedite the process somewhat!.
I have seen coatings that required heat to cure, but with a uv light.
There are plenty of coatings, that I personally like that don’t. Opticoat/optigloss, 22ple, gyeon, carpro, well... carpro is sort of just ok, but not great. I haven’t used that one in a while though, maybe it’s better now.

If it’s cold then cquartz UK is pretty good. It left a lot of water spots for me.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
IDK, every detailing shop that I talked to, which was 4, all of them said that they do the overnight heat treatment on their ceramic coatings. One shop, that is certified in using Modesta, heat treats it and I would have gone with that shop but they are 3.5 hours away from me.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
IDK, every detailing shop that I talked to, which was 4, all of them said that they do the overnight heat treatment on their ceramic coatings. One shop, that is certified in using Modesta, heat treats it and I would have gone with that shop but they are 3.5 hours away from me.

it really depends on the coating tbh. There’s nothing wrong with doing that. Some coatings are good after a few hours, others recommend longer. Typically the outside temperature is what matters the most. As I said, I know some do require heat or a uv light. I used opticoat on a friends Evo and he sold it last year, at 7 years the water was still beading perfectly. It was also garage kept.
I really like the look of 22ple, but I got a bad batch on a customers car the last time, and I’ve sort of gotten away from it since then.

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
anyone else feel like ceramic is a snake oil scam?

It requires significantly more money, time and effort to upkeep it otherwise it won't much longer than your typical off the shelf sealant.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
anyone else feel like ceramic is a snake oil scam?

It requires significantly more money, time and effort to upkeep it otherwise it won't much longer than your typical off the shelf sealant.

Absolutely not, ceramic needs applying properly but after that it is a doddle to look after with something like "Wet Coat" and mine is over a year old and still perfect. Waxing requires at least quarterly applications and never will bead water or have the smoothe finish like ceramic does.