GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

center console buttons not working

abawanyz

Car(s)
GTI
Hi All,

I just bought a GTI MK7 and none of the center console buttons including mode (driving mode) button is working nor any of the lights on the gear panel is working therefore car is stuck in sports mode and i cannot change it to eco mode.

can anyone help with it?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think there's eco mode on a gti. Sports changes the soundaktor volume and steering tightness. Try changing from the display.

abawanyz

Car(s)
GTI
I don't think there's eco mode on a gti. Sports changes the soundaktor volume and steering tightness. Try changing from the display.
The options only appear on the screen once you press the mode button and unfortunately the whole panel is not working. Its shows on the screen that the car is in sports mode hence its consuming too much fuel as well. Its running only 85 to 90km with full tank

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
85-90km on a full tank? Being in sport mode can’t be the only reason. Check if the wiring to the center console buttons is even connected.

ottobon100

Car(s)
2018 Golf GTI "S"
85-90km on a full tank? Being in sport mode can’t be the only reason. Check if the wiring to the center console buttons is even connected.
That was what happened on mine. For whatever reason the wiring harness to these buttons wasn't connected. They pulled the trim around the shifter and found the harness under the carpet, plugged it in and now it works as it should have from the factory. There is an ECO mode on a GTI. At least there is on my 2018. On my "S" when you push MODE button next to the shifter console you have ECO, Normal, Sport and Custom to pick from.

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yep, they all have ECO mode. I turn it off as fast as if started playing Blues Traveller, but it’s there.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Thank you for the correction guys. Didn't realize they put an eco mode on. Dsg only? Can't see it doing anything on a manual.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Thank you for the correction guys. Didn't realize they put an eco mode on. Dsg only? Can't see it doing anything on a manual.
Nope, both of my manuals have had it. I haven't driven one foot with it on, but it's there. Maybe it just TD1's your warranty if you turn it on. Joke's on you, tree huggers!

abawanyz

Car(s)
GTI
That was what happened on mine. For whatever reason the wiring harness to these buttons wasn't connected. They pulled the trim around the shifter and found the harness under the carpet, plugged it in and now it works as it should have from the factory. There is an ECO mode on a GTI. At least there is on my 2018. On my "S" when you push MODE button next to the shifter console you have ECO, Normal, Sport and Custom to pick from.
Thanks mate. I will get it checked. I hope its the same issue with my car.