GOLFMKV

Catted or Catless

Catted or Catless?

• Total voters

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
And I voted catted. Doesn’t smell, keeps things quieter.... these cars just sound like poo when opened up, reduce drone. Win win win to me.

I have a catless cammed v8, so I’m not afraid of a little smell, but I’ll pick catted when it makes sense. I’m even thinking about putting cats back in it, the smell is pretty overwhelming sometimes. Or I just need e85

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Yes. What you’re doing is essentially igniting unburnt fuel which can leave soot on the cat and once there’s enough soot to completely cover your cat, the exhaust has nowhere to go so it’ll either cause an explosion in your downpipe or, even worse, your turbo. Some guys risk it and run pop and bang tunes on performance cats but reading up on the science behind it, I’d rather not risk it.

Plus, it sounds super gay.

WonderWaffle

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
You do realize this ''overrun'' feature is present on OE car manufactures (AMG, Audi RS models, BMW M models, Sport hatchback, Supercars, etc.)

I highly doubt car manufactures would ''risk'' this.
All these brands you’re mentioning have very expensive cats that have been made specifically for these cars by the manufacturer. For a couple extra hundred buck for an overrun tune and an aftermarket downpipe, I doubt you’re getting the same reliability as the cars you’re mentioning. Hell, mclarens shoot flames out the exhaust despite having cats in them cuz the cats are made of really expensive material. There’s also multiple cases of these tunes destroying catted downpipes.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
All these brands you’re mentioning have very expensive cats that have been made specifically for these cars by the manufacturer. For a couple extra hundred buck for an overrun tune and an aftermarket downpipe, I doubt you’re getting the same reliability as the cars you’re mentioning. Hell, mclarens shoot flames out the exhaust despite having cats in them cuz the cats are made of really expensive material. There’s also multiple cases of these tunes destroying catted downpipes.
So what ''special'' or expensive cat does the Focus RS, Veloster N or even the Audi RS3 have?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I heard the Type S exhaust...and it sounds pretty loud. Without a cat...I would imagine that it would be mad loud and drone like crazy when cruising. I just had a Wagner catted downpipe installed running a stock exhaust. I'm going to stick with my stock exhaust.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Not only a cat, but a good one. I got a downpipe with a "high-flow sport cat", and it's just a step above catless. I wish I spent the extra money and got the GESI catted one.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
So what ''special'' or expensive cat does the Focus RS, Veloster N or even the Audi RS3 have?

I would guess that manufacturers are using higher quality cats and ensure that OEM pops and bangs won’t cause issues with the OEM cats (materials or something idk). For comparative reasons, an OEM/GESI ? will be different than say an eBay China-made cat. Other brands like Uni or CTS will fall somewhere in the middle