GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catch Can Filling Up Too Fast When Tracking

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Any track days on the new pcv? Thanks. Pretty sure I'll be trying
a different option at least- maybe the newer pcv

I've done 1 track day on BL version of stock PCV, and had good results. Others have used BL and got more oil.

It seems hit or miss. I'm only stg 1 tune on 200tw tires though, with no other engine mods. There so many variables with this issue, i.e. state of tune, mods, tires. suspension, track, temp, altitude, etc.... it's tough to make sweep generated recommendations on what works and doesn't.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
I've got BL PCV + Forge CC, filling up about 1/3 qt every 20 min session on track. Stg 3, coilovers, brakes, etc.

Not the biggest price to pay for the performance but draining/topping up after every session is getting old...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Crawford makes a universal AOS. If you can figure out where to send the oil back to the engine, might be a good option.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Do all brands of cars that are raced have this problem? How do dedicated race cars handle it?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Do all brands of cars that are raced have this problem? How do dedicated race cars handle it?

I never had these issues with my Corrado VR6, WRX, STI's, either Porsche (930 or 986).or Miatas.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Crawford makes a universal AOS. If you can figure out where to send the oil back to the engine, might be a good option.

I was going to call a local shop that maintains a TCR that runs in my region. Maybe they can tell me more about the TCR system and/or order parts (only TCR owners have the ability to do so apparently).

2018_vw_golf_tcr_race_car_15588807357053396e20190525_164010.jpg

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Most race cars, like the TCR cars, run a true air-oil separator. WRXs also have a true separator kit that people buy. Not sure about other cars but most kits actually return the oil, unlike ours.

Why we see so much oil on these motors during high Gs, is that at the end of the day the 2.0t is an economy motor and was never designed for racing. Also being mounted transversely, doesn't help.

The TCR car has a line that runs from the separator back into the oil pan. It uses a special style drain plug on the stock plastic pan that allows the line to hook into it. It gets the same amount of oil that people see with a spluen kit, just that the oil is actually returned.

oil.png

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
The TCR car has a line that runs from the separator back into the oil pan. It uses a special style drain plug on the stock plastic pan that allows the line to hook into it. It gets the same amount of oil that people see with a spluen kit, just that the oil is actually returned.

Nice find - I think even if we were to be able to order all the necessary parts we wouldn't have room to mount it behind the engine due to road car AC/brake system getting in the way.

I don't see a reason why the aftermarket can't produce a similar kit mounted in the typical cc location. Plate is already being produced (e.g. vwr), couple it with an off-the-shelf OAS modified to bolt to the engine mount, mock up some new lines and problem solved.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
A properly baffled oil pan will prevent most of this. Keep in mind the pcv itself is a wear item and unless you custom make a metal one with a more durable valve, you'll need to replace it periodically. Once it has had oil through it a few times, it won't seal properly again.

The iabed pan was the route I was going to go, but then went to another dedicated car. The iabed has a return port for a catch can. My other car is also known for pcv issues and with a baffled pan does not blow. Keep in mind even with a baffled pan, you can't overfill your oil or it will still blow.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
A properly baffled oil pan will prevent most of this. Keep in mind the pcv itself is a wear item and unless you custom make a metal one with a more durable valve, you'll need to replace it periodically. Once it has had oil through it a few times, it won't seal properly again.

The iabed pan was the route I was going to go, but then went to another dedicated car. The iabed has a return port for a catch can. My other car is also known for pcv issues and with a baffled pan does not blow. Keep in mind even with a baffled pan, you can't overfill your oil or it will still blow.

good tip - if I keep the car through to next season this sounds like the most sensible route. thx

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
The baffled pan will help with the stock diaphragm plates as it should help oil from overwhelming the lower separator. Unfortunately with a TCR/Spluen style plate, the lower oil separator is blocked off and crankcase gases just bubble up through the head. The internal pcv oil return is also blocked off.

You see a lot of oil splashed into these plate-style ones just from the cams spinning and throwing oil around. They also not don't have nearly as good internal baffling. If you have a BL PCV a pan might help, but with a full plate one, I can't see a baffled pan making a difference. The TCR car uses the same pan that a base mk7 runs.

Also if you are running a hybrid is38 or even a super aggressive is38 tune, it is recommended to completely ditch the stock PCV no matter the revision, as they can not take the boost.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Also if you are running a hybrid is38 or even a super aggressive is38 tune, it is recommended to completely ditch the stock PCV no matter the revision, as they can not take the boost.

This I did not know - thanks! I'm running a 31psi tune on a hybrid with all supporting mods. Do I get this guy before my next trackday? Slight preference for IE over Spulen/VWR and looks like they're a bit later to the party with possibly a better plate design? EDIT: though I hear vwr revised theirs. Will do some research...

https://www.urotuning.com/products/ie-catch-can-kit-mk7-gti-2-0t-iebacn1?utm_campaign=Google Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&variant=8385037828151

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
This I did not know - thanks! I'm running a 31psi tune on a hybrid with all supporting mods. Do I get this guy before my next trackday? Slight preference for IE over Spulen/VWR and looks like they're a bit later to the party with possibly a better plate design? EDIT: though I hear vwr revised theirs. Will do some research...

https://www.urotuning.com/products/ie-catch-can-kit-mk7-gti-2-0t-iebacn1?utm_campaign=Google Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&variant=8385037828151
Plenty of people running Spulen/VWR on big turbo setups, my personal experience is that spulen fixed my issues with high boost on my hybrid. APR looks promising but they had some QC issues with the first batch. Waiting to see if they'll sell their plate standalone.

Don't know anyone running IE on a bigger turbo, and it's important to note that they only sell it for the GTI--you'll need a washer relocation kit as well for an S3/R.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Thx - got the spulen.

Looks like spulen has a hose/breather which seals to a port below the plate that vwr doesn't.
Vwr on the other hand has an extra baffle channel which supposedly routes oil back to the sump.

25% difference in cost ends up being more significant I reckon