GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catch Can Filling Up Too Fast When Tracking

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Got confirmation that the new APR catch can shipped today from my order on April 9th, heads-up to others that maybe had pre-ordered. Hopefully I can test this out for a July track day.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Got confirmation that the new APR catch can shipped today from my order on April 9th, heads-up to others that maybe had pre-ordered. Hopefully I can test this out for a July track day.
Damn… looks like I just gotta pre-order too, I been just waiting for it to say in stock but they must have a good back log cause now the ship date for today’s orders has moved to 7/8

Rossmonster

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
My PCV experience with 8 track days in a '16 GTI this year is summed up as follows:
  • Replace OEM PCV as soon as possible
  • Don't buy the BL OEM plate, terrible blowby worse than OEM (I've got one to sell for cheap!)
  • Get Spulen V2 or new APR CC ideally if it ever ships (anything with a new plate), VWR is last in my list
  • With the new PCV plate and CC, no oil smoke/starve/minimal loss
  • iAbed baffled oil pan is great and helps with additional oil starve and blowby mitigation
  • Get an oil cooler while you're at it, necessary for track use
This week I had a track day with 1:40 of WOT track time and measured 8oz (~0.25L) of oil in my Spulen V2. Reaching out to Issam at iAbed to see if there is an ideal dipstick range so that I'm not overflowing the pan as well as my first session filled the Spulen about a third then it was minimal from there.

Plan is to swap out the Spulen V2 for the new APR full CC when it ships which should be even better based on tester reports.

In my opinion, everyone should get a PCV plate replacement and oil cooler for the track. iAbed pan is a nice-to-have that adds confidence in lateral G sweepers and also lessens the oil starve/blowby issues and for me is still worth the cost, it's a great product.
I've had the iAbed baffled oil pan for about a year now but was curious what you found out about the ideal dipstick range. I had just been filling it up to the same level on the dipstick as I did with the OEM pan.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My PCV experience with 8 track days in a '16 GTI this year is summed up as follows:
  • Replace OEM PCV as soon as possible
  • Don't buy the BL OEM plate, terrible blowby worse than OEM (I've got one to sell for cheap!)
  • Get Spulen V2 or new APR CC ideally if it ever ships (anything with a new plate), VWR is last in my list
  • With the new PCV plate and CC, no oil smoke/starve/minimal loss
  • iAbed baffled oil pan is great and helps with additional oil starve and blowby mitigation
  • Get an oil cooler while you're at it, necessary for track use
This week I had a track day with 1:40 of WOT track time and measured 8oz (~0.25L) of oil in my Spulen V2. Reaching out to Issam at iAbed to see if there is an ideal dipstick range so that I'm not overflowing the pan as well as my first session filled the Spulen about a third then it was minimal from there.

Plan is to swap out the Spulen V2 for the new APR full CC when it ships which should be even better based on tester reports.

In my opinion, everyone should get a PCV plate replacement and oil cooler for the track. iAbed pan is a nice-to-have that adds confidence in lateral G sweepers and also lessens the oil starve/blowby issues and for me is still worth the cost, it's a great product.
Many TT and autocross classes require the pcv, so replacing with APR or Spulen isn't a choice.

As far as BL goes, it's the most recent revision for the R.

My new BM was a smoke show, BL has been 1000% better.

A buddy of mine swapped out BM for BL and the BL was a smoke show.

That leads me to believe the QC on these PCV's is crap.

If rules prevent a complete replacement and you have a pcv, no matter the revision, that smokes only slightly, throw a CC between it and the intake and you're good.

Last edited:

Rossmonster

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
that's the correct thing to do.
Thanks for the quick reply on this older thread! Was looking at your build and man, that car has been through a lot. Excited to see it in action when its all back together! I am debating between the Spulen and APR catch can, which is what brought me here originally. I saw that you've had both and currently run the APR occ. Have you had any issues with a cylinder 2 misfire or excessive crank case pressure with the APR occ? APR seems like the better system over Spulen but those issues make me hesitant. However, I'm not sure how common they are.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the quick reply on this older thread! Was looking at your build and man, that car has been through a lot. Excited to see it in action when its all back together! I am debating between the Spulen and APR catch can, which is what brought me here originally. I saw that you've had both and currently run the APR occ. Have you had any issues with a cylinder 2 misfire or excessive crank case pressure with the APR occ? APR seems like the better system over Spulen but those issues make me hesitant. However, I'm not sure how common they are.
I don't have a way to measure crank case pressure (though if anyone does, it's APR). I also have a VWR plate and between the 3, APR is the obvious choice due to the extra drain. I've seen a couple people modify the VWR plate to add something similar.
There is less oil in the can with the APR plate than Spulen, but I haven't noticed any significant difference in misfire count. Even though I have a revised plate from APR, it's finally started leaking, so that's another consideration.

As far as the iabed dipstick thing goes, keep in mind you have a lot more oil to work with, so the difference in level between cold and warm is more significant. Service manual says to warm up to 140F before confirming oil level, so that's what I've been doing to check it.

Last edited:

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
I had a CTS catch can that would fill up in like 50 miles and it was pretty much just straight oil and it would reflect on the dipstick. I got rid of that and ran the BL PCV revision, which worked well until i would throw the car into corners and brake heavy, would get plumes of smoke.

Now I run the APR catch can and have had no issues, beside the top plate had a minor leak from one of the o rings and APR sent me out a new top plate under warranty. Car is hybrid turbo on full E BTW.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Many TT and autocross classes require the pcv, so replacing with APR or Spulen isn't a choice.

As far as BL goes, it's the most recent revision for the R.

My new BM was a smoke show, BL has been 1000% better.

A buddy of mine swapped out BM for BL and the BL was a smoke show.

That leads me to believe the QC on these PCV's is crap.

If rules prevent a complete replacement and you have a pcv, no matter the revision, that smokes only slightly, throw a CC between it and the intake and you're good.

Not following with the first line, how is putting in a different PCV block that still allows excess pressure to flow back into the intake not allowed? We're not blocking off the PCV or dumping that excess onto the ground. Street category rules in SCCA Solo 13.10.E say you can install a catch can/oil separator as long as PCV system isn't altered (edit for clarity: function/performance of PCV system isn't altered), these aren't modifying the core function of the PCV system nor giving a performance increase.

I've got an OEM BL PCV sitting in my garage I'll sell for very cheap if someone feels great about it and wants it.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not following with the first line, how is putting in a different PCV block that still allows excess pressure to flow back into the intake not allowed? We're not blocking off the PCV or dumping that excess onto the ground. Street category rules in SCCA Solo 13.10.E say you can install a catch can/oil separator as long as PCV system isn't altered, these aren't altering the core function of the PCV system nor giving a performance increase.

I've got an OEM BL PCV sitting in my garage I'll sell for very cheap if someone feels great about it and wants it.
Because it says can't be altered, not function can't be altered.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Because it says can't be altered, not function can't be altered.
"E. The installation of fluid catch tanks, catch cans, or oil separators is allowed provided the function and performance of the system (e.g., PCV system) is not altered."

Can't read that as a blanket block on not being able to touch the PCV system at all. How would you add a catch can otherwise?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
"E. The installation of fluid catch tanks, catch cans, or oil separators is allowed provided the function and performance of the system (e.g., PCV system) is not altered."

Can't read that as a blanket block on not being able to touch the PCV system at all. How would you add a catch can otherwise?
The catch can can be provided is doesn't change the function of the PCV.

The PCV may not be altered.

It's 100% clear, there is no gray area there.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
The catch can can be provided is doesn't change the function of the PCV.

The PCV may not be altered.

It's 100% clear, there is no gray area there.
I see what you're saying in that piece not being explicitly defined, another reason to just run SMF on this car. How are you adding a catch can to the stock PCV? Genuinely curious now. Like re-routing the stock PCV tubing to a catch can instead of the full block replacement? Can't find pics of that, worth having it installed so I don't burn off oil every time I go from heavy brake to gas like it was before.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I see what you're saying in that piece not being explicitly defined, another reason to just run SMF on this car. How are you adding a catch can to the stock PCV? Genuinely curious now. Like re-routing the stock PCV tubing to a catch can instead of the full block replacement? Can't find pics of that, worth having it installed so I don't burn off oil every time I go from heavy brake to gas like it was before.
Yes, that's how it can be done within the current rule set.