GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catch Can Filling Up Too Fast When Tracking

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So run a drain directly back to the oil pan when racing but return it to just a catch can the rest of the time?

I would like to see a response directly from Spulen about the problem when racing other than in a drag race. Is this a problem when racing with any other brands of cars? I haven't heard of it but then I don't read other forums.
It just recirculates all the time.

Sounds normal though, I fill my catch can up about halfway during a 20 min session on the track. Granted it's a mk6 but same concept applies.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I'm assuming the plumbing with an aftermarket catch can would be pcv plate to catchcan and catchcan to oil pan? And block off the hole in the inlet pipe

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone run just a PCV plate without a can attached? The stock PCV seems to be a very effective system on this platform, but it just becomes overwhelmed and wasn’t built for 30+psi. I had a CTS catch can and it would fill up in like 50 miles with basically straight oil. I ditched it and went with the updated PCV and haven’t had issues yet. I don’t auto cross though so I don’t have the extreme g forces that tend to create a lot of the problems.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Does anyone run just a PCV plate without a can attached? The stock PCV seems to be a very effective system on this platform, but it just becomes overwhelmed and wasn’t built for 30+psi. I had a CTS catch can and it would fill up in like 50 miles with basically straight oil. I ditched it and went with the updated PCV and haven’t had issues yet. I don’t auto cross though so I don’t have the extreme g forces that tend to create a lot of the problems.
If you did that CTS plate without a can, you'd get quarts of oil throwing thru the turbo, charge piping, intercooler etc...no bueno.

There's a lot of tradeoffs going with the aftermarket systems unfortunetely. As you've seen, the stock PCV is very well designed in many ways--very good baffling, air/oil separation functions.

The stock PCV system is also a typical "2 way" system that puts a slight vacuum on the crankcase during normal/99% of driving to provide clean air circulation thru the crankcase etc. The aftermarket systems basically turn it into an old school "breather" type system, that is just routed back to the air intake vs vent to atmosphere via breather filter.

I think the issues you see with high boost and slightly different cause, from these little flimsy 'check valves' that are used in the stock PCV plate setup.

Personally I'm going to keep the stock setup until I get to the point where I absolutely have no other choice, due to tracking the car a lot (very unlikely), or start making big power and I simply need a better/more flexible option (also unlikely).

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
But you're not puffing out black smoke on the track with the vwr plate right? Seems like all pcv replacements are about the same

Yea pretty much, if its not Spulen or Racingline its not gonna help you much out on track if at all.
To keep the blowby out of your intercooler and off your valves
I actually do want to do this. this is how the TCR cars defeat this. Literally goes right back to the pan. AN fittings down the back of the block.
So run a drain directly back to the oil pan when racing but return it to just a catch can the rest of the time?

I would like to see a response directly from Spulen about the problem when racing other than in a drag race. Is this a problem when racing with any other brands of cars? I haven't heard of it but then I don't read other forums.
I;m one of those it happens to on track (road/timeattack)

It happens to other cars, can't name em but its pretty common once you go really really fast in non high-end cars.They just weren't designed to see 20 minutes of 5K + RPM , 380tq and 29psi getting thrown at it relentlessly. Spulen is working on a new plate that hopes to cur the oil collected by a good margin.

When my can gets tooooooo full it willact the same. low power, burbling, and the intake be wet.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
that's the key point there. High G is where it happens. normal driving ur fine. also the CTS one was Shit.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
So who's gonna be the first one on here to do a line running from their catchcan to a metal pan with a fitting on it to recirculate the excess oil?

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
So who's gonna be the first one on here to do a line running from their catchcan to a metal pan with a fitting on it to recirculate the excess oil?
me I hope. idk how imma do it...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yea pretty much, if its not Spulen or Racingline its not gonna help you much out on track if at all.

I actually do want to do this. this is how the TCR cars defeat this. Literally goes right back to the pan. AN fittings down the back of the block.

I;m one of those it happens to on track (road/timeattack)

It happens to other cars, can't name em but its pretty common once you go really really fast in non high-end cars.They just weren't designed to see 20 minutes of 5K + RPM , 380tq and 29psi getting thrown at it relentlessly. Spulen is working on a new plate that hopes to cur the oil collected by a good margin.

When my can gets tooooooo full it willact the same. low power, burbling, and the intake be wet.

Is Spulen working on another version besides their version 2 that just came out recently?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Seems like you have it down pat so I vote for you to try it.
Why yes, I did quite clearly hear him volunteer hisself as a tribute.

Godspeed lad,

So noble for you to aid us in these trying times.