GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CARNET Discontinued

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
Did not renew subscription, but kind of lame/cheap/short-lighted that VW has stopped this so abruptly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 2.41.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 2.41.17 PM.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’ve been thinking of unplugging the CarNet module for a while but it looks like I won’t have to now!

Also I’m not sure how VW disabling CarNet is related to poor people 🤔
It isn't related to poor people. AT&T is just going to use those towers for 5G. I guess some would say that people who rely on 3G for their cell phone are not as well off. That mostly includes older people who just have an old flip phone and don't use a phone for the internet or apps.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It isn't related to poor people. AT&T is just going to use those towers for 5G. I guess some would say that people who rely on 3G for their cell phone are not as well off. That mostly includes older people who just have an old flip phone and don't use a phone for the internet or apps.

God damn it literal Jim :ROFLMAO:

He said that because of the initial use of the word "ghetto".

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What if I plug in the insurance dongle to score my driving, will they cancel each other out?

I've always assumed that hours into plugging one of those in, my carrier would call to request it back and also cancel my policy.
No idea I haven't had either of those. But does CarNet need to plug into the OBD2 port?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
No idea I haven't had either of those. But does CarNet need to plug into the OBD2 port?
I was just kidding, I think CarNet is a module that is in all of our cars, but you have to activate it. I vaguely remember something about it when I bought this one, but ignored the mailers. I know where I parked my car and I don't need a button to schedule service.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was just kidding, I think CarNet is a module that is in all of our cars, but you have to activate it. I vaguely remember something about it when I bought this one, but ignored the mailers. I know where I parked my car and I don't need a button to schedule service.
Same here plus VW can see when you get a CEL etc. Not going to pay them to monitor me.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I don't know what it is, but I want nothing to do with it. Sounds like it's out of Terminator.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Ignoring the bigoted OP take and the other nonsense about privacy (y‘all have smartphones) the main complaint about CarNet is that it’s a horribly buggy app for a ridiculous price.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For what it's worth, it's also not like VW didn't know about or prepare for the sunset of 3G data services. The 3G sunset impacts 2014-2019 model year cars. You can no longer get a subscription for these vehicles and if you have a subscription that goes beyond the sunset date you get a prorated refund.

Model year 2020 and later cars with the option have what VW is calling Car Net next generation, which is not impacted by the 3G service sunset so we can assume they have 4G/LTE capable radios. It includes app-enabled features. I assume there is new stuff in addition to whatever old Car Net offered. Lots of people don't like their car being connected to anything, but a lot of people like the features as well and are willing to pay for them.

I have never used old CarNet and don't have a 2020+ vehicle to try the new hotness but if the app sucks they need to fix that since they are taking folks money for the advanced feature plans. If I had a 2020+ vehicle I would give the free services a shot... https://carnet.vw.com/#/plan-pricing/modelyr-2020. And I can see the appeal of adding a 4G/LTE hotspot to your car, depending on the data allowance.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I’ve been thinking of unplugging the CarNet module for a while but it looks like I won’t have to now!

Also I’m not sure how VW disabling CarNet is related to poor people 🤔

1634173835185.jpeg