GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carmen - HoyaDub's 2017 Tornado Red GTI

pointerDixie214

Car(s)
2019 GTI; 1971 MGB
Good write up - sums it up well. Your better half will learn that cussing actually helps when working on cars, and it is impossible to do a job like this without letting a few choice 4 letter (or 5 letter) words fly. If you don't let those fly, the wrenches start to fly instead, and that is worse. Sometimes in my garage both fly.

I think two people that have done this before could probably do it in 3.5 hours or so if they have a lift and didn't have to mod any fasteners.

I think the quote of the day was from HoyaDub's wife. We pulled the stock intercooler out and put it on the ground next to the new. At that point she goes, "Wait, the car already HAD one of those?!?!" I might have peed a little.

Good day driving and wrenching--those roads Saturday morning were bliss, and the suspension work I did on the MGB made a huge difference. It was a good, long overdo weekend together thanks to the COVID lock down.

I'll close with a guilty confession - those were totally HF jack stands. Why do you think I had you do the hoses underneath?

HoyaDub

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
So I ordered the APR downpipe and Vibrant resonator a couple days ago. My goal is to get as much performance out of the car with as little added noise as possible. So I took some inspiration from "Stealth GTI" (not sure if he is on here, but if so I love his build) and got this Vibrant 17950 resonator in the mail to pair with the APR Downpipe. Install is going to have to wait a while though, finally filed taxes after procrastinating for quite some time, and all I can say is "eff" the IRS. That is okay though, I still have the RSB to install, and some maintenance things to keep me busy. Also currently waitlisted for my first HPDE at Summit Point for October! I am hoping by then to have new brake pads, lines, fluid and brake ducts installed to keep the brakes cool. I have heard that for first timers the stock PP brakes are probably fine, but I would rather be safe.

IMG_20200611_114154.jpg

IMG_20200611_114208.jpg

In addition to those, I got myself a new jack for ease of working on the car. The regular height jacks no longer fit under the car, and the scissor jack that comes with the car is not so great, so I got myself a 2.5T low profile jack. Pretty happy with my purchase! Don't mind the random bricks and dead plant in our yard, we are in the process of redoing it.

IMG_20200609_162023.jpg

HoyaDub

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
Not a particularly exciting update, largely because no pictures, but I got my Neuspeed RSB installed today, along with the Superpro end links and new spark plugs. Definitely incredibly happy with how the car handles after the swaybar! Although the springs made a huge difference on their own, the swaybar makes the car feel as if it is on rails. Pretty sure for handling purposes, the car now meets the expectations that I have out of this build. Down the road that could very well change, but for now I am happy with it.

Also got new spark plugs in, and some routine maintenance stuff done to keep her happy. My front rotors are getting to the point where I need to think about replacing them, so that will be the next upgrade out of necessity rather than desire. Probably will either stay with the stock PP rotors, or try to find some Clubsport S rotors for the car.

pointerDixie214

Car(s)
2019 GTI; 1971 MGB
Good to hear you like the swaybar. Did you keep factory gap with the plugs?

I doubt your rotors need replaced with as few miles as you have on that car. If they're warped, they can probably be turned by any decent shop for a few bucks each. That said, if you're looking to upgrade them anyways, I wouldn't bother turning them. But with those new jack stands you have, I would put the front of the car up, take off both front rotors, taken them to shop for turning, bring them home and install. Repeat with back. EZPZ.

HoyaDub

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
Good to hear you like the swaybar. Did you keep factory gap with the plugs?

I doubt your rotors need replaced with as few miles as you have on that car. If they're warped, they can probably be turned by any decent shop for a few bucks each. That said, if you're looking to upgrade them anyways, I wouldn't bother turning them. But with those new jack stands you have, I would put the front of the car up, take off both front rotors, taken them to shop for turning, bring them home and install. Repeat with back. EZPZ.

Thanks! Oh yeah, also got the front fenders rolled to stop the rubbing. Apparently some of the rubbing is on the fender liner itself, so that won't be fixed but I am less worried about that than I was the rubber on metal which seems to be gone now. Hit some pretty gnarly bumps on the ride home with no issues!

No, regapped the plugs to .024" as recommended for the tune. Realized I misread the receipt, don't need new rotors, just pads for now which are en route anyway so that works out. I may eventually upgrade them down the road, but honestly for now I feel like the stock rotors are fine for my purposes. Better pads should get me where I would like them to be.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Hyper silver looks fantastic on TR. Has me rethinking my black wheels. My previous cars were all white or silver. Actually went to the dealer having negotiated the price on a silver and when I got there they had a TR with the same spec. I asked if I could have that one instead and they said sure. I think my wife was more surprised at my decision than I was. TR looks so good in person. It's been 3 years but one day I'm going to get paint correction... can't wait to see it after that. Great looking car!

HoyaDub

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
Thanks! I agree, TR is such a great color. I think when I bought mine I was debating between colors as well when I bought mine. I am pretty sure it was between silver and red too (PointerDixie214 may remember, I don't remember for sure).

In other news, finally got my brake pads in. Now I am officially ready to do the brakes, I've got the RS3 ducts, these pads, and new brake fluid ready to go. Debating new brake lines down the road, but after the downpipe gets here I probably won't be spending anymore money on the car until next year, with the exception of winter tires and some HPDE.

IMG_20200622_215442.jpg

Unrelated, but also met up with the local MQB group around here on Saturday night. Met some cool guys, saw some nice GTIs. I am a pretty big fan of the Great Falls Green if I am being honest.

InkedIMG_20200620_205311_LI.jpg

HoyaDub

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
So I decided to go a different route with the sound of the car, I still have the APR downpipe eventually coming to me, but I decided to ditch the stock exhaust and resonator idea and go with the catback instead. I ended up with an AWE touring edition exhaust. I think this will probably be just about perfect for the sound I am trying to capture. I want the car to be mild for long trips, but aggressive when I thrash it. From listening to the AWE touring in person, I think this is exactly what I will accomplish with this setup. Got a killer deal on the catback, so my plan to stop spending money did not last long. But I did sell my resonator within a day so it worked out!

Update from BMP, the downpipe should ship later this week, and get here sometime next week. I will probably shoot to have the full turboback on, and the car tuned to stage 2 the following week. Hopefully by the end of next week I will have some pictures of the downpipe and catback install.

IMG_20200629_145648.jpg