GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Card holder in the center console?

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I considered tweezers, but the darn card is too glossy & slippery for my tweezers to get a grip on it!
Might be stupid, but maybe try jamming a small serrated knife in with the card, and then removing the knife while turning the blade toward the card so that it hopefully catches.

Duchess

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI Mk 7.5
All I had at my disposal in my immediate area was a pharmacy, so grabbed bobby pins and a cuticle nipper (they’re pretty powerful based purely on experience getting manicures).

The cuticle nipper was the MVP! Once it caught the card it refused to let go & pried that sucker right out, thank goodness. The card is slightly banged up but still useable. I swear I left my house this morning with only 1 brain cell...
image.jpg

Duchess

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI Mk 7.5
LOL desperate times call for desperate measures! I just wonder a) Why on earth the card slot is misaligned the way it is and b) if it can be fixed so it’s not weirdly tight like that. I’m too traumatized to use it now...

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I'm pretty sure it's "only tight" because you're jamming it where it's not supposed to be. It's probably designed and molded in a certain way. If I set my card in normally it won't go very far but if I put it in the way I normally do I can slide it in however far I want to.

Duchess

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI Mk 7.5
I'm pretty sure it's "only tight" because you're jamming it where it's not supposed to be. It's probably designed and molded in a certain way. If I set my card in normally it won't go very far but if I put it in the way I normally do I can slide it in however far I want to.
I'm mostly referring to mkyp's post in the previous page where they show that the container for the card holder is misaligned with the slot, making the whole setup janky to begin with. Regardless, I don't think I'll be touching it again.

OryxRob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI PP Oryx
Don't US cars have the card holder on the sun visor?
Mine has a clip on the vanity mirror.

Rob.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
what kills me is that there is no way to clean the inside of that area and if you ever lose something, it's gone forever

Duchess

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI Mk 7.5
Don't US cars have the card holder on the sun visor?
Mine has a clip on the vanity mirror.

Rob.
Sooooo I have to apologize because just yesterday I realized you were right and I was wrong🤦‍♀️ There ARE clips next to the vanity mirror on the visor, for both driver and passenger actually. I hardly use the mirror and I guess I just never looked closely when I had the visor flipped down? But the clip is RIGHT THERE and I'm a total dummy for not seeing it until now.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
The sun visor is where I keep the fuel card I mainly use, the others are in the glovebox for emergencies.

I think I have tried using the card slot in my 2020 GTI and it didn't seem to work, so it's probably misaligned, but at least now I know it is meant to be for a card. At the moment all those little holes in the console are just there for looks.

I did pull the entire console apart the other week to put in the rear seat USB's but didn't think to look at what was going on with the card holder. It's not that bad a process and you won't scratch anything if you're careful, as I was since it was my own car. So I guess that would the last resort should you get something important really stuck in there.