GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Card holder in the center console?

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Tried again today. At some angles the cards go way deeper, but it's right and was scratching my debit card pretty bad so I only need the top part for drive thrus

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
This thread reminds me of when the Mk4's came out. The Jetta dashboard had backlighting behind the little arrows and airflow info for the vents - the Golf/GTI did not. Some people with the latter lost their minds and actually retrofitted lights so that they wouldn't be missing out on this (apparently) killer feature. Some of the silly stuff owners obsess over...

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Mines 17 and it does. Just some retarded angle or something. I got it once but only once and It was hard to pull out. It really abrades against my debit card tho. Maybe it's just meant for like...business cards? 0_o

I use it at the drive thru. Have lost a card in a window of my old car...never found again. Even had a few people look. Lol thing rattled forever. I find it handy. Just the lip is enough to hold it for a minute or five...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI

mkyp

This whole thing smacks of users calling the IT help desk about the cup holders on their PCs.

I quite agree with your analogy!!! Asking IT a question about a very useful feature (I used it every day on my 2015 GTI, I need a card to access parking at work, the glove box option is difficult to reach), the feature changed in a new release, IT does not have a clue as to what is going on and you get 20 different answers and in the end no one knows why it was changed!!!

gdfraser

Ready to race!
This thread reminds me of when the Mk4's came out. The Jetta dashboard had backlighting behind the little arrows and airflow info for the vents - the Golf/GTI did not. Some people with the latter lost their minds and actually retrofitted lights so that they wouldn't be missing out on this (apparently) killer feature. Some of the silly stuff owners obsess over...

The Jetta vents were in fact much nicer than the Golfs in that generation. Backlighting was not the only difference.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The Jetta vents were in fact much nicer than the Golfs in that generation. Backlighting was not the only difference.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the vents were "much nicer" because they opened/closed with a shutter effect, vs the Golf's "normal" vent operation.

Anybody shopping a Mk4 Golf vs Jetta, who actually even noticed this, has OCD of the highest order. I can't imagine giving a rat's ass how "nice" the vents are on what's basically an economy car. Or getting spun up because I just bought a GTI and somebody shows me that his Jetta has the little symbols next to the "nicer" vents that actually light up while mine don't. And some people actually threw money at this to rectify the shortcoming. Unbelievable.

gdfraser

Ready to race!
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the vents were "much nicer" because they opened/closed with a shutter effect, vs the Golf's "normal" vent operation.

Anybody shopping a Mk4 Golf vs Jetta, who actually even noticed this, has OCD of the highest order. I can't imagine giving a rat's ass how "nice" the vents are on what's basically an economy car. Or getting spun up because I just bought a GTI and somebody shows me that his Jetta has the little symbols next to the "nicer" vents that actually light up while mine don't. And some people actually threw money at this to rectify the shortcoming. Unbelievable.

It mattered enough to VW as they put the Jetta style vents in the R32!

Economy car or not - it's the little details that make all the difference. The best part is folks spent money on the mods they wanted without worry of pleasing the old man in Arizona!

:D

adam1991

Banned

<ahem> you DO know you're on a forum, right? This is where those people come to play. :D

If you want some *serious* exposure to those types, head over to PriusChat...

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
It mattered enough to VW as they put the Jetta style vents in the R32!

Economy car or not - it's the little details that make all the difference. The best part is folks spent money on the mods they wanted without worry of pleasing the old man in Arizona!

:D

I hear you, I'm all for doing whatever you want to do to your own car. I just find this particular "shortcoming" a real head scratcher.

True story: back in the Mk3 days was when the notion of getting rid of those ugly side marker lights came into vogue. Guys would source euro bumpers or have a body shop "shave" them, put stickers over them, etc. But what were the European guys doing? Exactly the opposite! They noticed this "feature" that they didn't get over there, and wanted to add it to their cars.

Moral of the story - a lot of time we want stuff simply because we don't have it and somebody else does. Doesn't mean that it's necessarily better or logical to add it, but that's how the human brain works.

mkyp

Crazy that they changed the design.

Looks like an opportunity for someone to become a forum hero and develop a retrofit DIY.

I confirmed that the slot is designed for a card.

I removed the cover in front of the emergency brake, see 1st image. The 2nd image shows the plastic case that the card slips into. Basically, the plastic case is misaligned with the slots. I did not have a mirror to see how the plastic card case is attached to the console.

Finally, I was able to use a 1" putty knife and insert it into the slot, it went down to the depth of a credit card, leaving the top of the card exposed. So in my case, the misalignment is small but enough to prevent a card from being inserted. This confirms that the slot is designed for a card, but the holder and slot are not aligned...

Attachments

• IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    793.7 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 392

Sheikyurbouti

I park my car in a parking garage where I work. We are advised to leave the interior of our cars "in showroom condition", meaning anything that motivates a thief to smash N grab is not exposed. I put my change and gas cards in the in the compartment to the left of the steering wheel.

Duchess

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI Mk 7.5
Apologies for reviving this thread, but I come hat in hand with an embarrassing situation...

I was of the same opinion for a while that the card slot in the centre console didn’t go down very far, insufficient to securely hold a credit card. Today I was heading into the office for the first time since February (darn pandemic) & I slipped my garage pass in there - woah, it went all the way in! Rolled up at the garage, flashed my pass, and while putting it back I managed to push it in... until it was flush with the console. 😣

Now the card is stuck in the damn slot, I need to use the pass to leave the garage, and I have no idea how to finagle it out. Has anyone else pulled this complete dumbass move like me??