GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Steel GTI

Willrivz

Great work. Subbed!

-GFG Mk 7.5 here: did IE intake with air kit and turbo inlet, 24mm rear sway bar, ECS clutch stop, 034 mount, APR stage 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Pumped you got your clutch installed! Seems like you are already breezing through the break-in. Let us know what you think once you've had a chance to get on it.

Car's looking great!

Thanks! I've put my impressions in one of the DKM threads but I'll copy and paste that here later with more updates. Here's the link https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=670769&postcount=15

Haven't gone flat out yet but I've been adding some load and doing light accelerations.

Great work. Subbed!

-GFG Mk 7.5 here: did IE intake with air kit and turbo inlet, 24mm rear sway bar, ECS clutch stop, 034 mount, APR stage 1.

Thank you!

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Your build is looking awesome man! Loving seeing all of your progress!!

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Little update on the clutch:

As I posted on one of the DKM threads, I had some concerns as I was feeling the clutch pedal vibrate/grind on higher RPM downshifts. I can actually replicate it just by free-revving in neutral and you can hear it at 3k~ RPM.

I now have 1300~ miles on the clutch and that grind is still present, but it isn't as strong/loud like before. After talking with the mechanic and Clifton over at DKM, I guess it's 'normal'. They said it could be a combination of SMFW and the stiffer engine/trans/dogbone inserts.

Guess I'm ok with it for now, as I'm not having any other issues with getting into gear, downshifts, any other abnormalities. Chatter/gear lash is pretty loud when it's hot outside + AC on but this seems to be normal across most SMFW clutches. The hotter the weather, the louder it seems to be at idle. Not too big of an issue for me as I have music playing most of the time. Sometimes take-off is a bit jerky after starting/stopping in heavy traffic but that's likely normal too with SMFW, and is all dependent on how I modulate the clutch and how much throttle I give it.

This is my first ride with an aftermarket SMFW clutch so this might just be normal to everyone else :)

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for stopping by and showing love~! Can't wait to see more from your thread~! I dig the Golf R Wheels btw~! Makes the car look clean!!!!!

Marcin96

Love your setup, I was looking for Pretorias 19 inch but I couldn't find any for sale under 2.5k. So I went with rotiforms rse 19x8.5 et35. I really don't like em, where did you end up buying Pretorias from?

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Thanks for stopping by and showing love~! Can't wait to see more from your thread~! I dig the Golf R Wheels btw~! Makes the car look clean!!!!!

Thanks brother! Love your car! I might do that color-matched Carbon fiber spoiler/wing that you got going on too if I ever get the funds, since I'm not too big of a carbon fiber guy :D

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Love your setup, I was looking for Pretorias 19 inch but I couldn't find any for sale under 2.5k. So I went with rotiforms rse 19x8.5 et35. I really don't like em, where did you end up buying Pretorias from?

I got an awesome deal from someone local that I found through Craigslist. If I remember correctly, it was 1100 or 1200 for the set. I initially thought they might be fakes/reps but verified the part number and markings, and he actually has a Golf R so they were definitely take-offs.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Not much new here :)

Gave it a wash and went back to the stock wheels w/ crap stock A/S tires as my Pretoria's are still on the stock summer tires, which isn't going to work with this temperature drop. These Austin wheels do clean up nice though! Just don't look too closely or else you'll see some curb rashes/light scratches and caked in brake dust :D (need to go through it with iron remover + clay... hopefully it works).

Looks like it'll rain again this week so I'll probably clean up one last time this year and re-coat with Gyeon Wet Coat. And maybe get these OEM Mud flaps installed while I'm at it.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Still washing your car... don't you know, the rain has started?!?!

Looks great :)

I have some Cquartz UK 3.0 sitting around if you want to take a whack at a full coating - you can have whatever is left in the bottle. I threw 2 coats on my car this fall and it is holding up great. LMK!

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I feel you on the stock A/S. Went back last week due to freezing temps and hating them. My inner cheapskate just can't stand to throw away rubber with 10/32 left.