GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Cleaning Questions

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
Start looking around 50k if stock, sooner if tuned (or having misfires) and not using CRC/seafoam/etc for preventative maintenance.

Previous exp w/ my R56S, cleanings were done 35k (dealer), 50k, 80k. She was a oil eater and driven hard, and eventually pulled the head for valve work on cyl 3&4
Co-worker's R56S, 2 weeks earlier build week. Didn't need cleaning til 80k, she drove like a granny, no mods (just tint)

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
In a someone related to carbon question (pcv plate) would someone know if this sounds like a symptom of it failing : *also cars on meth, but lately when I blast it WOT or even say 3/4 throttle - nothing above 28/29psi either (no smoke out the tails) after I get to a light or slow back down and just cruising the car will have a stronger smell of say burning or hot oil , you think that’s the plate allowing excessive blow by into the intake?
Possibly. Remove your intake tube from the TIP and look inside the TIP for any pools of oil.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
In a someone related to carbon question (pcv plate) would someone know if this sounds like a symptom of it failing : *also cars on meth, but lately when I blast it WOT or even say 3/4 throttle - nothing above 28/29psi either (no smoke out the tails) after I get to a light or slow back down and just cruising the car will have a stronger smell of say burning or hot oil , you think that’s the plate allowing excessive blow by into the intake?
WOT throttle leaves a black cloud for me just about every time. I had the valves cleaned 2k miles ago and the cloud is still present. She runs rich enough the hatch gets a nice layer if I don't wash her for a bit.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
WOT throttle leaves a black cloud for me just about every time. I had the valves cleaned 2k miles ago and the cloud is still present. She runs rich enough the hatch gets a nice layer if I don't wash her for a bit.
Why is it tuned so rich?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
You should leave that layer on; it's a sign of a BT setup. ;)

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Why is it tuned so rich?
Not sure if it really is, I trust Ed that the cloud is intentional. Perhaps the cloud is an omen for those hearing the spool?