GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Cleaning in/near San Diego

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I got a quote from my local performance shop (Pure Motorsport) and took two things away. Firstly, he asked if I've been having any issues (no) and that they typically only do it if it's directly attributed to a CEL. Secondly, quote was ~$850, combination of chemical and walnut blasting.

I feel their labor charges have been very fair in previous jobs, but have zero frame of reference for a job like this. He said the job would take all day, but I feel like this would go much quicker if equipped with a walnut blasting machine? Is it a fair price or are there more economically-efficent places? Willing to drive a little bit.

Edit: My thought behind doing this is for preventative upkeep.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
A good deal on cleaning around here is about $600-650, and i'm around an hour to an hour and a half north of you. That's for a walnut blast/scrape, not sure why they'd do chemical as well unless it's a throttle body cleaner or something.. though not really needed, and if just for valves definitely not needed if walnut blasting/scraping.

You've got to pull the intake manifold to clean them which can be a decent amount of work, though for it to take all day seems a bit long for a cleaning to me. I'm not sure of the shop hours VW quotes for it, but I'd assume a skilled and equipped mechanic could do a carbon cleaning in about 4-6 hours tops.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
From a local shops price page:
1673300230164.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A good deal on cleaning around here is about $600-650, and i'm around an hour to an hour and a half north of you. That's for a walnut blast/scrape, not sure why they'd do chemical as well unless it's a throttle body cleaner or something.. though not really needed, and if just for valves definitely not needed if walnut blasting/scraping.

You've got to pull the intake manifold to clean them which can be a decent amount of work, though for it to take all day seems a bit long for a cleaning to me. I'm not sure of the shop hours VW quotes for it, but I'd assume a skilled and equipped mechanic could do a carbon cleaning in about 4-6 hours tops.

No idea what book time for it would be, but a pair of DIY amateurs with YouTube knowledge got it done in 3 - 4 hours, tops. A professional shop that works on cars daily should even be an hour under that. I was fairly surprised with how easy it was to get the manifold off.

ThisGuy

Interesting. I’m at 93k. Car runs great but I feel mpgs have gone down. Might also be that I don’t commute to work regularly any longer. Ill let you know how it goes.