GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon cleaning at 50,000mi worth it?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I sell to auto mechanics. I’ve been told that the benefits of chemical cleaners are minimal. I suppose as you say if you do them frequently enough it could avoid the need for walnut blasting over time.

I had it done at a dealer and they used BG and the before and after borescope pictures showed that the BG removed the majority of buildup.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I did mine at 30,000, and there was a decent amount of buildup. I'll probably do it again at 50,000-60,000 miles.
IMG6559414488977210791.jpgIMG7709919696145083756.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How bad was the build up before the treatment?

Not particularly bad which they attributed to my catch can. But at $200 I will just it every 50,000 miles to avoid the 3-4 times more expensive walnut blasting.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Is there a how to for this process? I have a few questions, such as how to make sure the valves being worked on are fully closed? If using chemical, what do you use to get them so clean and how do you scrub in there around the valves? It seems like a very cramped space. Is walnut blasting the best method, maybe combined with chemical?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is there a how to for this process? I have a few questions, such as how to make sure the valves being worked on are fully closed? If using chemical, what do you use to get them so clean and how do you scrub in there around the valves? It seems like a very cramped space. Is walnut blasting the best method, maybe combined with chemical?

Walnut blasting or manual cleaning is the best but you have to remove the intake manifold to do it. Chemical cleaning is done with the engine running but if you have bad carbon buildup it won't be anywhere near as effective as walnut blasting or manual cleaning.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Walnut blasting or manual cleaning is the best but you have to remove the intake manifold to do it. Chemical cleaning is done with the engine running but if you have bad carbon buildup it won't be anywhere near as effective as walnut blasting or manual cleaning.
Are we talkin like Seafoam and the likes? Or is there a real tested product that actually cleans the valves?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion

This is probably the best diy out there.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Also for reference:

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI

As Jose linked, Humble Mechanic has great videos on this topic.

I followed his procedure, and used a carb cleaner type chemical to soak the valves, and pushed around a piece of scotch brite to scour them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Are we talkin like Seafoam and the likes? Or is there a real tested product that actually cleans the valves?

No, Seafoam just goes in the gas doesn't it? There's a thread about this somewhere. But there's several good ones like BG and CRC.