GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods can delete this

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Always good to shop around. Dealers can be a nightmare too. I know the dealer closest to me I won't use for anything but parts.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I'm sure Autologic makes a great generic diagnostic product for all manufacturers, but you'll wind up saving money in the long run by taking it to a mechanic who knows VAG products well and has the proper diagnostic tools like VCDS or ODIS. It doesn't matter what the shop rate is if it takes your mechanic 3x as long to fix the root cause. Dealer or indie, both can be great or nightmares. Pick one and move on. If you're under CPO then the dealer is your best choice.

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm going to call the dealer when the open to inquire about the CPO warranty and pick their brain. If warranty is up and they don't sound like they'll be helpful I'm going to tow it to an Indy shop I was recommended. This guy is a former master Audi tech who set off on his own. Had a good conversation over the phone with him yesterday.
Not for nothing but mine was a CPO and if you contact Volkswagen, they may be willing to assist with the repair costs. If it's not too far out of warranty, they will assign a case manager and "look into possible assistance". You gotta reach out via the chat in VW Care

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I'm going to call the dealer when the open to inquire about the CPO warranty and pick their brain. If warranty is up and they don't sound like they'll be helpful I'm going to tow it to an Indy shop I was recommended. This guy is a former master Audi tech who set off on his own. Had a good conversation over the phone with him yesterday.

Yeah I also believe at least going through a dealer, they have more $$$ maybe to back you up? Especially if you call corporate. On the other hand a shop isn't going to back you anything. They'll do what they can but that's it. I feel like if you took it to a dealer and they f**k something up or give you enough of the run around, you reach out to corporate and they'll do something to help you to keep you a VW customer. It's the part where you attempt to go through VW at least and that isn't getting you anywhere that corporate just might step in to help. Again, indy shop, your SOL if they can't figure it out. Both are double edged swords in what they offer and can do.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
first thing he checked was the plugs, and one of them had the electrode broken off. He seems to think the electrode went through the turbo and out the exhaust, but the turbo is undamaged (not sure how that is possible). BUT, he doesn't think that's the cause of the knocking, he thinks its the bearings. He says the engine knocks off and on, which is confusing him.
You need to check for the broken electrode in your intake manifold.

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...tip-broke-inside-cylinder.384001/post-7759687

the ticking noise would come and go. Some times I would start up the car, and it would NOT be there. I'd go for a drive, and it would not make a sound as long as I was not in boost. [...] I found the broken electrode in the intake manifold (during a time when the ticking noise was not happening). Literally took the manifold off, and as I was rotating it, I heard something loose inside of it
he thinks its the bearings. He says the engine knocks off and on, which is confusing him. Usually it's constant.

Last edited:

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I'm just taking his word for it that it's out. I'm not sure what to think
You should at least ask if he looked for it in the intake manifold. The explanation made it sound like he thinks it went through the turbo because he couldn't find it. But it's your debt lol... do what you want

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yeah it seems unlikely the spark plug tip went through the engine and turbo and didn't cause any noticeable damage. The intake manifold thing is really interesting.