GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car shudders at idle

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
I have a shudder or tremble at idle, which I feel through the seat. Sometimes it's stronger and sometimes faint, but it's always there. If I rev the engine past 1000-1200 rpm I can no longer feel it. The car is a 2016 1.8 US model manual. The engine has been recently opened and cleaned everywhere, the timing chain is new and the variator on the intake camshaft plus its sensor have been replaced. Car has only run about 30km since and they said it might be the mounts (which are either new or stiffened after a long time not running). They also said give the engine some time to settle down. Still I think it may be an issue that won't go away on its own so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
probably spark plugs or something. This is normal.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Plugs are new NGK platinum. They said coils are fine but I'll get them to check again anyway. I specifically asked if there are any misfire codes and they said there were none, but I'll have them check if any have appeared since. I have also heard that the 1.8 engine does this and I've been in a 1.8 Jetta which also had a bit of a shudder at idle. Still in my Golf it feels stronger at times so I was thinking at the least there's something making it worse ? It's really annoying for me.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Dual mass flywheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I've no idea, I assume it's the stock clutch and flywheel.

What I’m saying is, is that it could be a failing DMF causing the shuddering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Thanks, will look into that as well. Is this type of defect consistent with shuddering only at low revs (up to ~1200 rpm) ? When I rev the engine past that, the shuddering becomes imperceptible (out of gear).

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Update: seems like the car also shudders over 1000rpm. Today it was going through its preheating at startup and idled around 1400-1500 rpm, and it shuddered no problem :) Only it seems ho have a lower frequency higher intensity (aka amplitude) vibration at those higher rpm. Something between a jolt and a shudder.

Last edited:

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Update2: I've driven it some more and the vibrations above 1000-1200 rpm are generally very weak, sometimes none at all. So mostly it shudders below 1000 at idle.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Any more thoughts on what I should check ?

Engine mounts are a likely culprit, with the car running open the bonnet and see if the engines movement matches the vibration you feel inside, also inspect the mounts, Physically push/pull the engine and see how the mounts feel! Did you have the vibration before you had the engine worked on?

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Didn't drive the car before that :) The mechanics also said mounts are the prime suspects, since the car hasn't been driven for over a year so the old ones have probably stiffened up and the one up top is brand new. (Edit: I found out that both dogbone bushings are new on the car) I am concerned it may be engine related which would be more difficult to solve.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I seriously wouldn't worry about this at all. There have been dozens of threads about this, and I don't think there's someone this doesn't happen to. The engine mounts being stiff makes it more obvious, but I don't think there is a way of avoiding it even after replacing literally everything, it's just a thing our cars do.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Well I rode today in an Alltrack 1.8 US model auto MY2017 and it had NO shudder at idle at all. None. So it is possible with this engine.

On the other hand I found out that both dogbone bushings are new on the car, replaced with the subframe, so that may explain (part of) it. But as it is it's very annoying for me, the shudder is not subtle at all. So if there's anything to check about the engine, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
BTW plugs are gapped at 024" ±0.002" or 0.6mm ±0.05mm as per APR's recommendation, but car doesn't have their software yet, if that makes any difference...